Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
$HoverExpression (Read 4350 times)
Stacey Mason

Eastgate Systems, Inc
$HoverExpression
May 06th, 2011, 3:04pm

5.9 brings a new attribute $HoverExpression which Tinderbox displays when you hover the mouse over a note in map view. Some common things you might want to display include $Text, $Prototype, $Wordcount, etc.  It seems to be great for information that you want to have on hand but don't necessarily want to clutter your map with.

Here's an example of how I used it in a research document to display note citations.

I'd love to see how others are using this feature!

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Zeoli

Re: $HoverExpression
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2011, 3:11pm

Stacey,

Cool. What would be the procedure for getting TB to show citations this way? Thanks.

IP Logged
Stacey Mason

Eastgate Systems, Inc
Reply #2 - May 6th, 2011, 4:05pm

As with anything in Tinderbox there are several ways you could do this.  You could have a $Citation attribute (which would probably not be too cumbersome with the new autocomplete feature), but my workflow is usually to make prototypes for each of my sources and to set the notes from that source to the appropriate prototype.  The name of the prototype is the full citation, so I just have the $HoverExpression display $Prototype.

Since taking this screenshot I've also added an attribute $Page which stores the page number of the reference so my $HoverExpression is now

$Prototype+$Page

to show the citation followed by the page number.

WWW   IP Logged
Derek Van Ittersum

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2011, 4:10pm

I was mulling over how Hover might work for me, but Stacey's example is perfect.  This is going to save me a lot of visual clutter on my maps, where DisplayExpression was using way too many variables.  thanks!

IP Logged
Steve Zeoli

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2011, 4:51pm

@Stacey, what a great method for tracking sources! Thank you for that tip, as well as the Hover Expression idea!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print