Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Create child note" and other outlining commands (Read 16391 times)
Lucas D

"Create child note" and other outlining commands
May 09th, 2011, 8:13pm

In response to Steve Zeoli's recent review of Tinderbox at appstorm.net, James Katt commented that Tinderbox's outliner didn't allow him to "brainstorm quickly". I'm not sure exactly what he was getting at, but in my case, I often hop over to OmniOutliner when I want to rapidly note down some thoughts, because I like to do so in outliner form, and the outlining commands in OmniOutliner are more robust. With just a few additional commands, however, Tinderbox would be all I need.

The most important command for me would be "Create child note". As of now, I just press 'Return' to create a sibling, then type the text, then press return again to leave 'Edit in Place' mode, and then press 'Tab' to indent. But I would find it easier to keep up with the flow of my thinking if I could just press one command and immediately be editing text in a child position.

Less crucial, but also highly useful, would be "Add Aunt" and "Add sibling above".

If these commands are already possibly, I'd of course be interested to know how to do it. And otherwise, I'd like to suggest these commands as features.

(Let me know if this has been discussed before. I took a look but didn't find anything.)

WWW   IP Logged
Lucas D

Re: "Create child note" and other outlining commands
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2011, 8:24pm

Follow-up thought: I suppose there must be some way to use Applescript or some other automation method to create a keyboard shortcut that would implement a series of two existing commands, right? If so, can anyone give me any leads on how to go about that? Thanks. [Sorry if this is drifting into something that should be in a different forum section...]

WWW   IP Logged
Paul Walters

Reply #2 - May 9th, 2011, 10:40pm

Tinderbox has quite a few keyboard commands useful for outlining (and "brainstorming").  Take a look at the Note menu, and at the contextual menu - where you would find "Create Child", which has the shortcut Shift-Return assigned to it.

IP Logged
Lucas D

Reply #3 - May 9th, 2011, 11:11pm

Thanks, Paul. That was embarrassing. I kept looking over the 'Note' menu, but forgot to check the contextual menu. [Moderator--feel free to retire this thread.]

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - May 10th, 2011, 3:03am

@Lucas, aTbRef lists all TB keyboard shortcuts. The easiest overview of what's covered is to look at the Reverse Look-up Map. That page lists shortcuts by key and modifier: all A key based, then B, etc. It is also useful in seeing what shortcut key combos aren't mapped.

Besides Return (new note) and Shift+Return (new child note), Cmd+Up-arrow or Cmd+down arrow will move a note's sibling position up or down one place, whilst Tab and Shift+Tab demote or promote a note one outline level (i.e. make child of previous sibling, or promote child to sibling).

Note that now many Mac keyboards lack an Enter key (IIRC it's only on PowerPC laptops and extended keyboards) either Fn+Return and Ctrl+C also open the note Rename dialog instead of using the Enter key.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Lucas D

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2011, 12:29pm

To follow up: Now that we've got "Create Child" out of the way (sorry, again, for my oversight), I guess my feature request (or "how could I do this" question) is to be able to "Create Aunt" (below, as in OmniOutliner) and "Create Sibling Above" with single commands. Based on the information provided here, I still don't see a way to do that. (I recognize, of course, that these probably don't constitute standard outlining commands, but I do find them useful.)

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - May 10th, 2011, 12:45pm

To create an 'aunt', it's 2 commands:
- make a note
- Shift+Tab (promote as next sibling to current parent)

To make what I assume is thus called an 'uncle', it's 3 commands:
- make a note
- Shift+Tab (promote as next sibling to current parent)
- Cmd+Up arrow (move note above it's previous sibling)

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Lucas D

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2011, 1:57pm

Thanks, Mark. It's good to have that summary for reference. Just for the sake of clarity, I was specifically referring to the ability to be able create an "aunt" and a "sibling above" with single commands, which is not currently possible as far as I can tell.

(One other clarification: By 'sibling above' I meant a note at the same hierarchical level but above the current note. Currently this can be done by creating a new note and then using Cmd+Up. Creating an 'uncle' note, as you indicated, is not something I had been thinking of, but of course that would be handy as a single command too.)

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #8 - May 10th, 2011, 2:32pm

Another way to make an 'aunt'.  From the stating child, click left-arrow, which selects the current parent.  Now Return gets you a new next sibling & aunt to the starting note.

If you need to specify loads of extra shortcuts there are several keyboard shortcut managers that get mentioned here by users any one of which might aid you creating the extra shortcuts (for use with the current release)

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Lucas D

Reply #9 - May 10th, 2011, 4:01pm

Quote:
Another way to make an 'aunt'.  From the stating child, click left-arrow, which selects the current parent.  Now Return gets you a new next sibling & aunt to the starting note.

Ah, thanks, good idea---I should have thought that. While still 2 steps, that's a much more efficient method.
Quote:
If you need to specify loads of extra shortcuts there are several keyboard shortcut managers that get mentioned here by users any one of which might aid you creating the extra shortcuts (for use with the current release)

Sounds like I'd better do my own research, but perhaps someone can tell me: do such keyboard managers allow for the execution of 2-step commands with a single shortcut? For general purposes, OS X's built-in shortcut functionality seems to do the trick, but perhaps I should try out a third-party app.

WWW   IP Logged
Jack Baty

Reply #10 - May 11th, 2011, 8:09pm

Keyboard Maestro is terrific. http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/

IP Logged
Lucas D

Reply #11 - May 11th, 2011, 8:38pm

Quote:
Keyboard Maestro is terrific. http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/

Thanks, Jack! Keyboard Maestro works perfectly. I now have single keyboard shortcuts executing the multi-step commands described above, which is exactly what I was looking for. (And clearly I'm only scratching the surface of Keyboard Maestro's potential.)

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print