Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Launch-recall 'x' pre-set window groups. (Read 4137 times)
russ lipton

Launch-recall 'x' pre-set window groups.
May 12th, 2011, 2:24pm

Current pref to recall (at launch) the last set of windows (at program exit) is quite useful.

However, I usually want to start with a workspace geared to 'x' type of task(s); this is a bit of a pain to set and arrange manually. I prefer one or two other window order(s) during some sessions to facilitate different types of TbX task(s).

Desire: power to choose a default window arrangement (per state at exit) or a named window arrangement; this to be used at TbX launch; also the ability to recall/reset a named/stored window setup during a session.

This is 'just' fit-and-finish, but would be very sweet and, if modestly, useful.

IP Logged
Johnnie Wilcox - mistersquid

San Francisco, CA
Re: Launch-recall 'x' pre-set window groups.
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2011, 10:02am

There are relatively inexpensive third-party softwares that can do some of what you're looking for. My favorite of the bunch is Benedict Lowndes’s Optimal Layout.

I also know of SizeUp, Breeze, and Stay.

IP Logged
Nick Van Weerdenburg

Toronto
Reply #2 - May 13th, 2011, 12:57pm

I'd also love this.

I find one of my main challenges with Tinderbox is arranging the windows in an effective layout. I'd go as far to say that it's driving me nuts.

One thing that occurred to me was making maximize configurable so as to leave a strip on the screen for secondary maps and windows.

I'm going to look at some of the tools mentioned in the other response.

Nick

IP Logged
russ lipton

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2011, 1:14pm

Thanks for software suggestions; will try ASAP, though feature request stands.

FYI, I use WindowshadeX to great effect with most apps, including Tinderbox, though its purpose is somewhat different.

IP Logged
Nick Van Weerdenburg

Toronto
Reply #4 - May 13th, 2011, 2:16pm

I'm just trying optimal layout now, based on this thread.

Pretty cool- it almost does exactly what I want.

However, it seems to struggle with outline views (sizes the window, but doesn't move the scrollbars). Map views are good, but occasionally fields are off-size (the name field in the bottom left status bar area).

Anyone have experience with this? Any of the other tools work better?

Thanks,
Nick

IP Logged
Nick Van Weerdenburg

Toronto
Reply #5 - May 25th, 2011, 12:54pm

I found that Divvy and Breeze handle Tinderbox scrollbars properly, while Optimal Layout and SizeUp do not.

I'm now using a combination of Divvy (for visually driven layout) and Breeze (for keyboard shortcuts). Divvy supports global keyboard shortcuts, but they are not app specific so I'm keeping Breeze for it's app specific short-cuts. I have too many global short-cuts already- especially since starting to use Keyboard Maestro- and want to keep new ones app specific for now.

Divvy does support two-stage shortcuts without requiring lots of global short-cuts:
Shift-Command-Space to bring up Divvy ( a single global short cut)
then hit short-cut key (1,2,3,4 for my layouts)  (while divvy is in focus)

This works nicely, and I use it for my other apps.

Breeze= predetermined windows I want with a single key stroke
Divvy= for on the fly window arrangement as well as a few standards that I apply across all apps.

This is working beautifully for Tinderbox, and it's made a big difference in my comfort level while working.

I also used Keyboard Maestro to add short-cuts for hoist and unhoist. Together, these have made keyboard navigation much smoother.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print