Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Creating agents from Find dialogue (Read 3791 times)
Ben Worthington

Creating agents from Find dialogue
May 24th, 2011, 6:38am

This may be common knowledge, but I haven't spotted it before and it's super useful.  If you hit cmd-f and use the find dialogue to create a search, then go to Note>Create Agent, the search will be copied into the agent query automatically

You can build complex agent queries in this way (the Find dialogue is superior to the Agent dialogue because you can see the search results as you build the query AND the query builder is better).

Bad Tinderbox forum for not mentioning this to me before....

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2011, 6:39am by Ben Worthington »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Creating agents from Find dialogue
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2011, 7:39am

News to me too, but I'll add that to my reference. That's a nice, and I'm sure deliberate piece of design.

The query maker in Find and Agent is actually the same (leaving aside Find's 'live' listing). The only difference is the Find UI has +/- buttons whereas on the Agent dialog the same function is done using the '...' pop-up under the 'Query' label; to remove a second query box, just select '...' from the pop-up.

[Update: aTbRef pages for Find view and agent Create & Rename dialog articles amened to reflect the above.]

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2011, 8:29am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Ben Worthington

Reply #2 - May 24th, 2011, 7:53am

I think with previous versions the agent builder could only use one instance of "And" or "or" but maybe that's implemented differently now.  Even so, I think this is a very nice, small, feature.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - May 24th, 2011, 8:34am

Actually, the agent's always offered the opportunity to add a second auto-generated - see here for the v2.3.4-based description of the dialog. You probably overlooked the '...' pop-up.

FWIW, don't try to open an existing agent and use the '...' pop-up to add a third or more arguments, it will won't result in a valid query. In fairness it's not designed to do that - not that someone might not try.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print