Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
zotero drag (Read 11296 times)
Derek Van Ittersum

zotero drag
Jun 01st, 2011, 1:07pm

I recently noticed in another thread that it is possible to opt+drag a reference from the program Bookends into Tinderbox to create a note with Key Attributes mapped to the author and title and year.

I would like to request similar functionality for Zotero or BibDesk.

IP Logged
Stephane

@istib
Re: zotero drag
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2011, 4:23am

This was raised before for BibDesk.

You can add the Tab-Separated-Value template (cf. http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/bibdesk/index.php?title=Templates) and adjust the preferences so that dragging from BibDesk uses this template.
Tinderbox recognizes this format and assigns the values to each corresponding attributes - I've noticed it now evens creates those attributes

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2011, 5:34am

Derek, it's worth sending specimen Zotero output data to support as not everyone will have such niche utilities. Experience has shown small utilities sometimes output even standard formats with odd (unseen) encoding which can trip up the reviewing app.

Re tab-delim.  As at v5.9.1, the app can trip on tab-delim import where there are 'empty' cells (i.e. 2 tabs with no data in between). A fix is already tested for the next release. For now (i.e. versions 5.9.1 and older, add a '0' (for empty numbers), 'false' (boolean) or for strings make sure the first record has a values for all strings. IOne way to do this is to ensure record #1 (row #2 of the text) has a value for all fields, even if you insert a dummy record just for that purpose. and delete it post import.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Derek Van Ittersum

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2011, 6:54am

Happy to send data, but not sure how to do that for "drag data".  How can I determine what information is sent from Zotero when I drag a record?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2011, 7:08am

Good point. Looking at the Zotero wiki, it seems you might better address this from both ends. The underlying point being there doesn't seem to be a fixed output type for Zotero. Rather, as with TB export, you make the format what you need it to be. Thus the question becomes, what formats does TB already support?

So, I'd email support and ask them what formats Tinderbox already accepts and then ask in the Zotero forums. Being open source and with a seemingly active user base likely someone's either already made such a Zotero mod or can produce one. This seems a quicker more flexible way to create this feature than engineering effort of the TB drop-receipt.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Derek Van Ittersum

Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2011, 4:10pm

Thanks Manuel for the tip (and link) to bibdesk.  This is perfect and exactly what I wanted.  

One strange thing, though.  When I drag references over, the "author" value gets mapped to the "name" attribute, even when I create an attribute named "author".

Also, for future zotero users, you can easily make use of the best features of zotero (the easy ability to slurp citation data from a wide variety of webpages) while using bibdesk by using this firefox extension: http://mackerron.com/zot2bib/

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print