Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Browse Reverse Links (Read 4448 times)
Charlyn Lee

Browse Reverse Links
Jun 05th, 2011, 10:31pm

This is a feature request  Smiley

There is currently an option to Browse Links (cmd-\), which is a quick way to look at the available links from note1 (outgoing).

I would like to ask for an option to browse the reverse links, i.e. all the links to note2 (incoming), in the way that Browse Links is functioning in Tinderbox.

The closest feature in Tinderbox that does this is the Roadmap view, but I would like to see this feature because:
1) Browse reverse (or incoming) links will show the relationship of the link instead of just arrows in roadmap view
2) I can edit the link relationship or name just like in Browse Links
3) Quick view on the available link relationships to/from that note
4) I don't need to link notes two-way just to view the relationships in Browse Links. Sometimes I may miss making a two-way link. Plus, it is double work. And it will be much better on the eyes in Map view, with half the needed arrows flying around.

I'm not sure why there isn't this feature, and only Browse Links (outgoing).

If I may suggest:
They can be separate windows, one for going in, one for going out.
Or, they can be in the same window, split into two boxes, one representing going out, one representing going in. There could also be arrows pointing to/from the note to represent the link direction.

Thank you for the wonderful product, Tinderbox.  Grin

IP Logged
Tom Shannon

Re: Browse Reverse Links
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2011, 9:22am

> ) I don't need to link notes two-way just to view the relationships in Browse Links. Sometimes I may miss making a two-way link. Plus, it is double work. And it will be much better on the eyes in Map view, with half the needed arrows flying around.

Actually, just the ability to create a two way link would be nice.  My guess is that this would be easy to implement.  Perhaps there's good reason why it isn't currently an option (unless it already is and I've missed it).

Tom S.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2011, 10:21am

Two-way links and being able to view (to per-likn detail) incoming links are overlapping but different things, IMO.

@Charyln. Roadmap view is, I believe, slated for a rewrite and that is the likely method your problem will be resolved. When that is, I don't know.

@Tom. Easy? The app's author also being a hypertext academic I'm sure there was a reason links are one-way. Whilst,  there may be lots of ways one might represent a link, I suspect doing several of them at once and making all the complex inheritance/link traversal stuff still work may be more difficult. It's more than drawing a double-ended arrow. Mark B is, as I write, at a hypertext conference, otherwise I suspect he'd reply in more detail to this (I'm making an educated guess here).

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Tom Shannon

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2011, 9:05am

> It's more than drawing a double-ended arrow.

I was kind of thinking it might be a matter of drawing a double arrow and creating two links instead of one at a stroke.

Perhaps even without the double arrow.  Wink

I'm sure you're right in that there's good reason why its not an option.  Certainly something more elegant would require more work and more thought.

Tom S.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2011, 1:09pm

Note that the footnote commands create two links and a destination note in a single convenient operation.

WWW   IP Logged
Tom Shannon

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2011, 6:09am

@Mark B.

I had, in fact, forgotten about this.  Thanks.

Tom S.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print