Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Automatically creating linked to notes in map view (Read 3638 times)
Jack Baty

Automatically creating linked to notes in map view
Jun 09th, 2011, 2:17pm

Many of my interactions with Tinderbox's have developed such muscle memory that I rarely need to think about what I'm trying to do. An exception to this is the stubborn idea in my brain that I can create linked note automatically from an existing note in map view.

I'd love being able to drag from the create link icon on an existing note and when releasing the mouse over an empty area of the Map, have the create note window open, and upon saving create the note "under" where my mouse was when I relased the button - already linked from the originating note. Crazy?

It's easy enough to create a target note, then create a link between that and an existing note, but for some reason I keep trying to do what I suggest above, and it keeps surprising me when it doesn't work.

This may have become more noticeable to me since I've begun integration PersonalBrain into my workflow, which works exactly this way.

IP Logged
Stephane

@istib
Re: Automatically creating linked to notes in map view
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2011, 2:23pm

Interesting idea. I'd use that feature

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2011, 2:29pm

Of course, one of the joys of TB's Map view is that it isn't a mind-map and is without the latter's constraining insistence of forcing connections where none may yet exist. That's not to imply there's no mileage in the idea. Smiley

One practical issue to consider with this proposal: with a dropped link both linking and making a note you'd get 2 dialogs, one for the link creation (how else to change/confirm the link type?) and one for the new note.

« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2011, 2:30pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Jack Baty

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2011, 2:35pm

Naturally, I hadn't considered the multiple dialog issue. There's also problem of how to handle Edit in Place, etc.

I'm not sure if I've posted this before, but a related request for me would be a way of avoiding the link type dialog completely. I've never used it Smiley.

I agree about not forcing TB to act like a mindmapping application, but I do frequently know _before_ I create a note that I'm going to link to it from an existing note.

There might be some solution using a modifier key while dragging, etc. Say, holding down the Shift key when beginning the drag bypasses the link type dialog and does my fancy auto-linking magic.  I appreciate you at least engaging in conversation around this!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2011, 2:49pm

Indeed, I'm not agin the idea. I'm just applying what i've learned from the questions I've had in return to suggestions i've emailed in the past.

An assumption from your last is that you only ever use untitled (i.e. default typed) links. No problem with that but for those who do.  Assuming the feature proposed, I'd certainly be happy is Create Link used the same premise as now - i..e it remembers the last used link type to be set.  IOW, if I'd last explicitly made a link of type 'agree', that what the drop link would use. It would though likely need a way for the user to correct the 'current' link type choice.

If Edit-in-Place were 'on', surely you'd just get a new blank icon at the drop position as if you'd just double-clicked the background.

The only push-back (leaving aside engineering issues on which I've not the expertise to comment) might be from those who drag-link a lot on large, busy maps.  A 'mis-drop' and we start getting a litter of unintended notes. Or perhaps not, as - at least in E-i-P mode - if the user clicks of the new note without titling it, the note is discarded.

I also just checked, you can't link to an adornment so dropping on an adornment out to work (hmm - side effects if there's an OnAdd?).

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print