Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FAQ: Finding a word in an HTML Help page (Read 5187 times)
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
FAQ: Finding a word in an HTML Help page
Jun 17th, 2011, 6:32am

This crops up quite often - "I can search TB's built-in Help on a word of phrase, but once I've selected a page how to I find the matches in that page?"

The answer is simple but totally unintuitive until you know, due to the the way Apple designed OS X Help (it's an OS not app issue). Mac Help does have in-page search, it's just hidden away. You can access it by doing any of the following in the Help window:
  • Press Cmd+F
  • Click the cog icon on the toolbar and click 'Find'.
Below the toolbar, a Find bar appears; it there is any text on the clipboard this is added to the Find bar's search box. The in-page Find works just like in Safari. The number of matches in the current page is shown and buttons allow the user to cycle around the matches. The 'Done' button hides the search bar.

Although this doesn't meet some users preference for Help in long form, it does answer the complaint that Help pages can't be searched.

Sadly you can'y pin the Find bar to the Help UI so it always shows.  In that regard, I think Apple designer's have been a bit too minimalist in approach. When you need Help, you need as much as you can get.

« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2011, 6:46am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print