Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Click Prototype (Read 5395 times)
Rigas Arvanitis

Paris (France)
Click Prototype
Jul 01st, 2011, 9:33am

Prototype is a very commonly manipulated attribute. There should be a more direct way to access to it (rather than inspector/General/Prototype...).
A button or menu item should be made that allows to fill the attribute easily.
Rigas

Rigas Arvanitis
WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Click Prototype
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2011, 10:21am

There are lots of ways to do this:
  • All Create/Rename dialogs have a pop-up to see the prototype (i.e $Prototype value).
  • Outline view. Right click the note icon to select $Prototype vlaue from a list.
  • Map view.  The Selected note/agent has a tab bottom right showing the prototype - right click and select (a new) one.
  • Inspector quickstamp or a Stamp.
  • Note view, Prototype pop-up menu in sidebar. [added in later edit]
  • Note view, display as a key attribute (perhaps via a prototype).
...there are just a few off the top of my head. Any of the first 3 sound like what you're after.

[later edit - added extra item]

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2011, 4:20am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Rigas Arvanitis

Paris (France)
Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2011, 3:14am

Quote:
   * All Create/Rename dialogs have a pop-up to see the prototype (i.e $Prototype value).

- Applies only to one note. 3 "moves": select note/open Rename dialogue/ choose proto.

Quote:
  * Outline view. Right click the note icon to select $Prototype vlaue from a list.

- Applies only to one note. 4 "moves" : select note/right click/ open Rename dialogue/ choose proto.

Quote:
   * Map view.  The Selected note/agent has a tab bottom right showing the prototype - right click and select (a new) one.

- Applies only to one note. 3 "moves" : select note/ click on tab and wait/ choose proto.

Quote:
   * Inspector quickstamp or a Stamp.

- its the right way to do things: select all notes you want to change/ select Inspector in Menu/ select attribute group General/ select atribute Prototype/ write (no list - no self filling like in the Note edit view) the name of the prototype/ enter.

Quote:
   * Note view, display as a key attribute (perhaps via a prototype).

- Needs to have the attribute prototype in the Key Attributes (which is usually not the case).

The feature I imagine is to have a self-filling prototype attribute open at once and applicable to many notes as an option in a menu or button.

Rigas Arvanitis
WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2011, 4:21am

Not sure a sub-menu would really any quicker than the Inspector. Perhaps if one of the Inspector panes (probably Name) were to have a prototype pop-up  - i.e. like the one on the Rename dialog.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Jean Goodwin

North Carolina
Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2011, 7:28pm

Hi, Rigas:  The outline view and map view methods will work on all selected notes, not just one.  Plus in outline view you can get directly to the prototype list if you click right on the note icon.  So for both, we have:

-select a bunch of notes
-click with two fingers (on my laptop) a/k/a control-click, a/k/a "right click" to those who know how to do it) either on the prototype pull-down menu in map view or on the icon in outline view
-select prototype

That can't be harder than a menu, can it?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2011, 5:19am

Concur with Jean.  Both  Map and Outline method are 3-click - two if you start from the premise of item(s) already being selected.  My original list also overlooked the Prototype pop-up in the Text window sidebar.

This thread has prompted me to update a number of aTbRef articles to reflect issues raised here:
In my view the later two methods are the fastest methods for setting prototypes from a view whether for a single item or multiple selection.

I've also aded an omission from my previous list up-thread: the text window sidebar holds the Prototype pop-up menu.

However, I can see on area for improvement not yet raised and that is for keyboard-centric users. I'm not one but I can see all of these method require a mouse for all/most steps expect editing a key attribute. To that end, adding the Prototypes pop-up menu as a sub-meny to the Note main menu bears consideration. For hardcode keyboard use, Ctrl+F2 gets you to the menu bar (Apple menu selected) ... but no menu/sub menu lists prototypes. I don't see any point in adding to the Note context menu as Edit-in-Place (if turned on) is triggered by click-hold instead of a context menu pop-up and anyway click is a mouse action; keyboard use would take you to the menu bar, thence Note menu thence a Prototypes sub-menu.

One other keyboard-centric idea is to use Cmd+Opt+Shift+P to pop the prototype pop-up menu and focus it - at least in views like Outline/Map/Text; not so sure about doing so other major minor views (Chart/Timeline/Explorer/Find/Location/Roadmap, etc.), the point being where the menu would pop-up.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print