Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Maps and slopegraphs? (Read 4752 times)
Greg Korgeski

Vermont
Maps and slopegraphs?
Jul 12th, 2011, 8:01pm

Interesting article http://charliepark.org/slopegraphs/ on Edward Tufte's "Slopegraphs," with a discussion of the various approaches to making them.  Just wondering if anyone has seen/tried any kind of Tinderbox mapping approach to such a graph?  (One could just do it "by hand" of course, but would there be a way to have attributes be the basis for map location?  Is this a too basic question (like, "duh, everyone knows how to do that?") or something never before contemplated in the annals of Tinderboxery?

Thanks!

Greg

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Maps and slopegraphs?
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2011, 9:35am

I saw that too. Something like this perhaps:

OK, TB isn't a pure graphing tool so there are a few accommodations. We can't suppress arrowheads nor choose a link's point of attachment to an icon**.  Still, I got pretty close.  The Y axis is to scale except where icons overlap; there I manually moved lower ones down so titles didn't overlap.

** We could make invisible very small 0.1 x 0.1 notes at points and link those though that would be very fiddly.

[Later] There is a typo above, just fixed in the TBX (upload at time of this 'last edit') where both France and Belgium on the left link to Belgium on the right.

[Even later.  Another fix. Corrected screen grab and updated file - right-hand France/Belgium were in wrong order]

« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2011, 6:19pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2011, 10:13am

How was it done? Not necessarily the best way - I was just doing it as quick as I could. So first I added a 'slopegraph' link type that is straight and unlabelled. Next I added number attributes $StartGDP and EndGDP; number-type as I wanted to calculate icon position based on this data. I aslo added a string $OrigName. Next I added a container /Content and set the $OnAdd:

$Prototype = "Data"

The prototype "Data" initially showed the two new attributes above , plus $Xpos, $Ypos, $Width, $Height, $NameAlignment, $NameColor and $Opacity as I know we'll need these. In outline view , I turned on columns for StartGDP/EndGDP/Name/Xpos/Ypos. $NameAlignment set to 'right', $NameColor to 'black', $Opacity 0 (zero). Also set $DisplayExpressionDisabled to true.

I now added my children to 'Content', working down the left side of the source data. I then selected the first child, opened Explorer view and went through adding start/end GDP data. IClosed that view. In Outline, linked each note to its 'copy' note via a 'slopegraph' type link.

Next select all children and duplicate and duplicate "Data". Used an agent to set all 'copy' notes to "Data copy" prototype and set $OrigName to $Nape.replace(" copy",""). For the latter prototype change name alignment to 'left'. Data gets the display expression:

$Name+"   "+$StartGDP.format(1)

whilst "Data copy" gets:

$EndGDP.format(1)+"   "+$OrigName

The .format(2) ensures numbers like 44.0 display their decimal place.

Now, we put "Sweden copy" at $Xpos/$Ypos {0,0}. An agent finds all "Data copy" using notes and sets:

$Xpos(original)=0;$Ypos(original)=$EndGDP("Sweden copy")-$EndGDP;$Width=4.5;

whilst "Data" using notes are then found and told:

$Xpos(original)=-10;$Ypos(original)=$EndGDP("Sweden copy")-$StartGDP;$Width=4.5;

For overlapping notes, I added 0.35 to $Ypos to remove overlap - i.e. budging down to avoid overlap.

Added two notes as column labels - proved easier than adornments as I originally planned.

Result: Slopegraph.tbx

Enjoy!

[Later: Update TBX.  Right column entries now in correct size order.  Reduced all data/Data copy notes to $Height of 0.75.]

« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2011, 6:20pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Greg Korgeski

Vermont
Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2011, 6:00pm

Sweet!