Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Outline Sidebar or Header (Read 3130 times)
steve harf

Cleveland, Ohio
Outline Sidebar or Header
Jul 29th, 2011, 10:27pm

I suggest that outlines optionally display a sidebar or header. It might look and function similar to the note sidebar. The outline sidebar or header would allow quick access to changing the two sort attributes (and case sensitivity and reverse option), editing the list of columns displayed, changing whether checkboxes are displayed, and offer read-only information like $Path. I could also see the magnification pop-up migrating here, too.

This feature would make it convenient to quickly change the appearance of an outline without going to the menus or opening the rename window of the parent note.

- Steve Harf
WWW steveharf   IP Logged
Paul Walters

Re: Outline Sidebar or Header
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2011, 6:09am

Would an alternative be giving the "Inspector" panel an "Outline" tab, which offered the controls Steve mentioned?

IP Logged
steve harf

Cleveland, Ohio
Re: Outline Sidebar or Header
Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2011, 3:26pm

The inspector (Paul's suggestion) has its merits in not cluttering the outline UI. However, for consistency the user would probably need to click on the outline parent note to effect changes through an inspector. (This pre-requisite would be unnecessary if implemented as an outline sidebar or header.) Also some of the outline controls (show check boxes, define columns, e.g.) do not correspond to system attributes, which would be a change from the current use of the inspector. (Tangential Comment: I am in the "camp" that believes these outline display controls should be represented with system attributes, but so far I haven't convinced the design decision maker of the wisdom of this approach or at least this hasn't been the development direction so far.)

One additional small advantage to using a sidebar, header or inspector is the possibility of removing "Checkboxes" and "Columns" from the "View" menu. These menu items only apply to Outline views and so some space in the menu would be freed up. (The the View menu currently has 26 items. Removing these two items would also eliminate the need for one menu break - a grayed out horizontal line.)

- Steve Harf
WWW steveharf   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print