Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OPML, checkboxes and OmniOutliner (Read 7546 times)
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
OPML, checkboxes and OmniOutliner
Aug 1st, 2011, 5:31am

In sorting out some other OPML related oddities, I stumbled on one issue that might confuse if exporting to, or onward exporting via, OmniOutliner. OO's use of checkboxes is that ticking any checkbox in a hierarchy ticks the whole hierarchy. With richer branching behaviour is slightly different. Either way, you can't just select and check/un-check a note as you might in TB.

How does this affect OPML use?  OO will only reflect TB-set ticked checkboxes if either the note is root with no children or all notes in a path are ticked. If TB data is exported/re-saved via OO, the checkbox info will be as interpreted by OO and TB's intent will not be maintained.

See below, TB on left, OO on right. Notice how only one of TB's ticks survives into loading TB's OPML into OO:

If that bites your workflow, it's unfortunate. However, it must be noted that '_status' OPML attribute is a arbitary addition to the OPML spec so neither app is doing 'wrong' here. There's no reason OO should honour TB's checkboxes given that the two apps use them a different way. FWIW, going the other way, TB will reflect OO's tick state as TB's logic happens to be less constrained given that it simply sets $Checked individually for each note based on the OPML its given.

Before someone asks, I don't have Scrivener so can't comment if the checkbox problem still exists, or manifests differently when taking TB OPML to Scrivener! Given the number of TB+scrivener users , if someone could test and report it might help resolve one more import/export ambiguity.

« Last Edit: Aug 01st, 2011, 5:37am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: OPML, checkboxes and OmniOutliner
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2011, 6:16am

One other minor variation.  OO export to OPML sets <title> to the filename of the OPML file minus extension. most TB export templates I've seen use:

<title>^value(attributeEncode($Name))^</title>

…or a syntax equivalent thereof.

Thus, if you re-save in OO, the top level title post import is [some other] app may differ from the one set at TB-export. Again, these variations occur because OPML is a very lose standard!

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print