Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
File/Export as [HTML/text]...   vs New HTML View (Read 5161 times)
Sumner Gerard

File/Export as [HTML/text]...   vs New HTML View
Aug 01st, 2011, 3:49pm

When best use one?  When best use the other?

For some reason I've always gone the 'New HTML View' route but 'File/Export as...' seems a more 'standard' place for export.

Any links to where this is explained?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: File/Export as [HTML/text]...   vs New HTML View
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2011, 4:46pm

Export as HTML vs HTML view.  They are the same. The only difference is the latter exports just its own note's content (the selected note when it was opened). If you only want to export the odd page or when designing/testing your templates, HTML view is useful.  Once ready for use you'll probably move to Export as HTML. The latter has continued to get faster over time - aTbRef takes 10-15 seconds to export on my MBP - so fast I don't think about how long it takes.

HTML view has one further trick when developing testing. When exporting the whole doc, TB does not treat changes of template as a 'change', if you select HTML view, set a new template and click export the current displayed code is exported. It overwrites (no warning) any preexisting export of the same file.

Text export exports plain (non rich) text. Unless you know you want this method or have been told to use it, likely you want to use Export as HTML.

If the latter sounds counter-intuitive, think of 'Export as HTML' as 'Export marked-up text' and 'Export as text' as 'Export un-marked-up text'. HTML export doesn't have to insert HTML and all the built-in insertions can be switched off or navigated around.

If that guidance is too broad, please narrow the context! The questions very open-ended so it's hard to be specific.  Smiley

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Sumner Gerard

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2011, 5:47pm

So is something like this correct?

'File/Export as...' exports all notes in the tbx whose $HTMLDontExport is set to false ('Export' box ticked).

Whereas,

'New HTML View' exports just the selected note, unless ...

-- the note happens to have an 'envelope' or 'wrapper' template that refers to 'letter' notes to be exported as well.

-- the note is a container, in which case its descendants are exported as well (unless their $HTMLDontExport is true)

« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2011, 5:48pm by Sumner Gerard »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2011, 5:53pm

Yes, except for the last. Exporting via HTML view only exports the current note (and any includes specified by the given export template. The export children effects whole doc export - the HTML just offers an easier way to set $HTMLExportChildren rather than using a stamp or Info view.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Sumner Gerard

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2011, 9:22pm

Quote:
Exporting via HTML view only exports the current note (and any includes specified by the given export template.

I was puzzled by this, because 'HTML View' clearly was giving me children as well, using the default built-in template: 'plain'.

But, looking up what's in 'plain', I see that it and 'section page' and 'title and text' include children, while 'plain-text' and 'HTML page' don't.

So my general takeway is:

-- 'HTML View' is convenient for testing, choosing templates and export settings, and exporting select notes (and any includes).

-- 'File/Export as ...'  is convenient for exporting the "entire document" in one fell swoop.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2011, 3:34am

Your understandable confusion re use of 'plain' is why I've added code listings for built-in templates to aTbRef. Methinks that as well they really ought to be an appendix to the manual.

Your last summary sounds right. More confusing, I find, is that HTML view and Nakakoji view seem like same thing (general dialog layout) but they do different things. Each note has an HTML view but there is only one Nakakoji view for the whole doc - the latter works of the current main view selection as modified by the radio button on the view. Apart from documenting/testing it I've never used Nakakoji view so in fairness I'm maybe not it's best proponent!

With HTML view, if you ignore the Export and Preview buttons you can see it's primary role is configuring the HTML export. As 'Preview' actually creates a file on h/d. In fact, I think the only functional difference between 'Export' and 'Preview' is latter both exports the note and opens the exported page in the browser.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print