Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OPML Export - Examples (Read 6005 times)
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
OPML Export - Examples
Aug 07th, 2011, 8:10pm

As mentioned recently, I've put together a couple of TBXs to show how data can be exported from Tinderbox to OPML capable apps, such as OmniOutliner or Scrivener. The demo's zip file contains two folders and a TBX to be read before using the demos.

The 'simple' demo should likely meet most people's needs.

The 'advanced' demo builds of the same data but adds some extra techniques:

The demos need v5.8.0+ but note that one of the demos in the advanced section uses the group scope for ^include^ and thus needs v5.9.2+. Each TBX includes some description - the notes in red - of the techniques involved.

I'd just note that contrary to many people's presumption, OPML is not a tightly defined standard leaving scope for interpretation. Thus apps 'support' OPML but may do so slightly differently - so do test your workflow.

Get a copy of the demo (a zip file).

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Robert Matzken

Re: OPML Export - Examples
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2011, 4:31pm

For those who want to export to Scrivener and have OmniOutliner on their System, here's a slightly different approach to the exporting stage itself.

Select the ContainerNote you want to export ("New OPML Test" in Mark A's demo file).
Select New HTML View (Option-Command-H).
Set the Export folder (the Desktop is fine for this), and enter ".opml" (without the quotes but with the dot) into the box named "File Extension".
Till here everything is as normal, but now, rather than press Export, click the button named Preview.
This opens the OmniOutliner application and presents your outline straight in it.

The reason for doing this, is for all those times we want our outline to migrate to Scrivener, but don't want all the notes or outline items. The regular approach is to make a new Tbx document, drag the outer ContainerNote over, then remove various child notes in the clone before exporting it. This new approach eliminates the need for a clone document to work on.

Moreover, it lets one do things to the outline in an actual outline application, which is easier and, after all, is the reason to have OmniOutliner in the first place. I would suggest to start with View -> Expand All.

Most importantly, it allows one to modify the outline before importing it into Scrivener, but without disrupting the original structure in Tinderbox.  

When the work in OmniOutliner has been completed, simply Save As OPML into the folder that contains the Scrivener document and from there drag the outline file into Scrivener.

IP Logged
Paul Walters

Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2011, 5:23pm

Robert Matzken's approach is very clever and useful.  Thank you!

One clarification - perhaps obvious - is that the container one selects before using Robert's method needs to have OPML-compliant templates assigned in HTML View, else OmniOutliner will complain that the file is not valid and will not open it.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2011, 6:47pm

@Robert. If you use the demo, you will notice the export extension is already set to '.opml' - so why would you set it again? Unless you're not using an OPML template in which case As Paul points out , OO won't open your export. Lastly, using Preview still exports a file - an OPML file will be be exported - the preview action just goes the extra step of telling finder to open the exported file (in OO or your OMPL-owning app).

There is no need to move notes to a new container. Simply add the 2 basic OPML templates (or more complex ones of your choice) to your own TBX and you can export from there.

The tutorials were put together with beginners in mind and I'm afraid that we'll now just confuse them.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print