Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
On the Road Toward a Sufficient Daybook (Read 18967 times)
jjvornov

Re: On the Road Toward a Sufficient Daybook
Reply #15 - May 09th, 2012, 12:39pm

Hover expression is a great addition to the toolbox for this. And of course Tinderbox shows its strength here because I have all of the daily journal notes inheriting from a prototype or two, so I just had to change the hover expression for the prototype and every note in the document now shows its text content on hover. I really like it on map view and I'm working on changing color for map notes that contain text so that I know what's worth hovering over.

Edit in place really does help break down some of the modal nature of TBX, but I've never gotten to love it. My muscle memory tells me to click to edit like most two pane editing system and failing that, double click which of course opens the note itself. clicking and holding seems to take too long. Going way back, I use enter and the dialog box. Or two finger click where the rename is directly under the cursor.  Blame it on a decade of using TBX. Maybe I'd like it better if the rename command opened the edit in place since there's no way to do that other than click and hold and wait.

It's funny, but the other app I use that has this modality is nvAlt. It's set up to edit text and renaming the note requires modal entry into what looks to like a non-editable field. I like the way Scrivener does it where renaming a note is a double click in the left panel.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #16 - May 9th, 2012, 3:34pm

There's a menu choice for edit in place (Note menu), and a keyboard shortcut (cmd-shift-return).

WWW   IP Logged
jjvornov

Reply #17 - May 9th, 2012, 3:51pm

Mark-

Thanks for pointing out the menu choice. I've mapped it using Keyboard Maestro to cmd-return because its close to the fn-return that brings up the dialog box I don't use it in TBX.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print