Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tinderbox event in San Francisco (Read 22575 times)
Michael Becker

Tinderbox event in San Francisco
Sep 03rd, 2011, 10:03am

Will there be an event in San Francisco anytime soon?

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Tinderbox event in San Francisco
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2011, 9:39pm

How do people feel about Dec 3-4 or Dec 10-11?

WWW   IP Logged
Akiva R. Schoen

Seattle, WA
Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2011, 7:04pm

I might be able to fly down for that.

IP Logged
Rich Shields

California
Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2011, 3:03pm

I could drive the 300+ miles, and would really like to come. Unfortunately as a pastor I cannot take Sundays off.  Sad

WWW   IP Logged
Michael Becker

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2011, 4:54pm

The 2nd/3rd would be good, maybe we could do it in San Jose.  Might be cheaper.  I would also be up for doing something later this month if a few people on this list are free. October is pretty bad for me.  I'm personally looking to get better example on how to get the most out of the tool.  I've been playing around with it for months but having finally broken through and started using as it was designed.  Needed to breakaway from some old world thinking.

« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2011, 4:56pm by Michael Becker »  
  IP Logged
AGHorne

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2011, 5:26pm

I know it's still pretty early, but any thoughts on topics?

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2011, 11:25pm

Rick shields: you might come on Saturday?

We're not averse to fri/sat if that's better for people.

Ag Horne: I'd like to hear about applications-- like akiva's scheduling project, and Alex strick's Afghanistan studies.  But of course I have an unusual perspective.  I might talk about maps, extending my Hypertext 11 paper, and about the iPad.

I think Stacey Mason has some promising ideas, too.

What about you?

« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2011, 2:22pm by Mark Bernstein »  
WWW   IP Logged
Michael Becker

Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2011, 12:02am

If one day, Saturday could work.  Personally I can't get away two weekend days due to all my travels/need time with kids.

IP Logged
Stacey Mason

Eastgate Systems, Inc
Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2011, 6:06pm

Much will depend on what people are interested in hearing. With  our recent flurry of conferences, I'm in a good place to give some tips for conference note-taking or build on Mark's talk with some ideas of note-taking in map view. With the recent interest in journals/daybooks, I could also talk about maintaining large Tinderbox files and how to manage adding organization and structure as files grow. And there's always dashboards and using Tinderbox for monitoring.

We'd also thrown around the idea of having me lead a breakout workshop for very new beginners. This might include things like getting map view and outline to play together nicely, when to use prototypes, etc.

WWW   IP Logged
Rich Shields

California
Reply #9 - Sep 8th, 2011, 2:45am

Yes, I could make it on a Saturday. If I it starts at 9 AM I would probably drive up Friday, stay overnight, and drive home Saturday evening. That means leaving no later than 4 PM on Saturday. But if I go up Friday, I would just as soon drive up early Friday and attend sessions on Friday.

Stacey, I personally would like some beginner stuff you mentioned and some areas that I have not had to deal with namely exporting and linking. Another area of interest is journaling/appointment, work etc. I have done quite a bit with that, in terms of data, but not much with structure and linking. Likewise with our curriculum.

Maybe we could have beginner stuff on Friday afternoon/evening, and then some of the other topics on Saturday. For those who are beyond the beginner stuff, they would only have to stay for Saturday’s sessions.

Sounds good to me.

« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2011, 2:47am by Rich Shields »  
WWW   IP Logged
Akiva R. Schoen

Seattle, WA
Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2011, 7:56pm

Not to dig myself too deep of a hole here as I still haven't finished with Taskbox but I've been toying with the idea of writing a 'book' on Tinderbox programming aimed at beginners; at the very least, a series of blog posts that could be later threaded together to form a whole. I could perhaps even using Taskbox as a running example as it has been key in me learning Tinderbox.

This isn't meant to denigrate any existing Tinderbox documents but I think something presented like a programming book—meaning half-tutorial/half-reference work like something O'Reilly or Manning might publish—might be found to be really beneficial for many. And I think it'd be fun to write.

Again, just typing out loud here.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2011, 10:52pm

We've been talking about talking to you about TaskBox....

WWW   IP Logged
Akiva R. Schoen

Seattle, WA
Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2011, 4:02am

I've been interested in being interested in being talked to...

IP Logged
Neil LaChapelle

Reply #13 - Nov 21st, 2011, 10:42am

Does anyone know were the Dec 10-11 2011 San Francisco event is being held? I want to book my travel, and getting a hotel nearby or at the same location as the workshop would be ideal.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #14 - Nov 21st, 2011, 11:15am

At the Hotel Rex, in Union Square.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print