Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hover-like inspection of notes in Tbx environment (Read 3314 times)
russ lipton

Hover-like inspection of notes in Tbx environment
Oct 12th, 2011, 7:06pm

(I love how Scrivener's (internal) links, when clicked, pop-up a small, editable window of the linked item's contents.)

I am forever opening Tbx notes to read them, preparatory to doing varied things (not necessariy to edit those notes). If I could either do something clicky and/or use one our newfangled OSX 'gestures' to quickly inspect a pop-up window of that note, I would be most happy.

This is not just sugar for me. The Scrivener model, used suitably, increases my productivity by reducing the 'friction' of writing/reading/inspecting/editing considerably. This would speed up my work by minimizing the number/clutter of open note windows ... and more.

« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2011, 7:07pm by russ lipton »  
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Hover-like inspection of notes in Tbx environment
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2011, 1:41pm

Try setting $HoverExpression to

$Text

and you'll see a text preview whenever you hover over a note in map view.

WWW   IP Logged
russ lipton

Re: Hover-like inspection of notes in Tbx environment
Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2011, 3:21pm

Yes, this is partly what inspired my request - a very nifty addition.

I do my main editing/refining work in outline view, which is where this would be most useful, especially if a pop-up enabled editing window opened (e.g., a note window, but without side panel, etc).

(I was surprised to find how this boosted productivity in Scrivener, though one can do this only with linked items. Writers often use 'quick editing' sessions to complement more leisurely composition).

Apart from true utility, which I do not claim to judge, I can imagine there could be a higher cost to implement than is justified when considering more important engineering. I was hoping Scrivener had leveraged something "easy" within Apple's development framework.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print