Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shades of ... color schemes (Read 5808 times)
russ lipton

Shades of ... color schemes
Oct 19th, 2011, 11:16am

IP Logged
Paul Walters

Re: Shades of ... color schemes
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2011, 12:27pm

Those are very pleasant palettes, Russ.  

"cold turkey red" - yes!!  Wink

IP Logged
russ lipton

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2011, 1:39pm

Yeah, cold turkey red seems somehow evocative, doesn't it ... but of what, one wonders?

And why, prithee, is 'william' blue? Or 'norway' green? Then again, why is 'gin' green? That does not evoke happy thoughts.

And (I asked myself), who are the lucky ones who earn a living by devising thousands of name for colors?

... so very many ontological questions to resolve for color schemes.

(mainly, I wanted to avoid collisions with existing default colors as well as with other schemes of my own, though the named colors be ever so charming or 'witty').

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2011, 7:15pm

I suspect that turkey red is an old pigment name, and refers to Turkey.

Idea: might these schemes be even more harmonious if you added just a touch of the central color to each of the grays?  So, for example, the shades of blue would have a range of very neutral blue-grays that are tinted with William Blue.

WWW   IP Logged
russ lipton

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2011, 7:33pm

Mark, that's a great idea which I hadn't considered - will give it a shot.

I'm also experimenting with a scheme which looks reasonably good to two different types of color-blind users; and, of course, for those with normal color vision. It uses the same, single set of hex color values. Obviously, some of the colors look different to a given user, depending on their disability, but the total set seems nicely differentiated in all three cases. Only a few colors will need renaming so shared names/values make sense. Rather tricky, but interesting and maybe even useful.

« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2011, 7:34pm by russ lipton »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print