Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Freeze" a note's attributes (Read 3272 times)
Paul Walters

"Freeze" a note's attributes
Nov 29th, 2011, 5:59am

I would find it useful to be able to "freeze" a note's attributes and prevent any changes to them - either by agents or by editing them.  This would apply to user-modifiable attributes (including Text, Name, and so forth), but not to attributes that are controlled by Tinderbox.  If a note is "frozen" then its aliases would also be frozen.  "Frozen" notes would thus be read-only notes.

Since the "lock" command is already spoken for (i.e., lock a note's map position), perhaps "freeze" or a similar synonym would be used.  An indicator in views showing which notes are frozen would be useful, too.

I'd like this because I want to have agents find notes, but exclude some from being affected by agent actions.  I'd also like to be able to prevent unintended text or name edits on some notes.  I realize there are complex actions that could be coded to get the same result, but a simple command would be useful over here.

Of course, if all of this is already possible (e.g., I think aTBref is telling me that the ReadOnly boolean attribute is a partial implementation of this suggestion) then someone will show me the way.  Wink

« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2011, 6:01am by Paul Walters »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: "Freeze" a note's attributes
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2011, 6:41am

The aTbRef $ReadOnly page has been updated to reflect more clearly the fact that $ReadOnly only affects $Text. All other attributes remain editable. As the note describes, this attribute is mainly used (by TB) for $AutoFetch notes. You rightly point out $Lock affects Map - in fact I've updated [url=]that page[/url] too as whilst it mainly affects a notes $Xpos/$Ypos it also affects drag-reordering of $OutlineOrder unless map move up/down commands are used. The latter makes sense once you try it out.

However, there isn't an attribute to make a note (and/or its aliases) read-only. Is your problem trying to avoid accidental editing. I presume your 'freeze' attribute would be only editable via one or two UI controls (Info view, Inspector, etc.) as you'd want frozen notes to be impervious to scripting, agents, etc.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Paul Walters

Re: "Freeze" a note's attributes
Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2011, 7:37am

Quote:
Is your problem trying to avoid accidental editing[?] I presume your 'freeze' attribute would be only editable via one or two UI controls (Info view, Inspector, etc.) as you'd want frozen notes to be impervious to scripting, agents, etc.

Yes, I want to turn off changes to all editable attributes (Text is an editable attribute), on a note-by-note basis.  Of course, ReadOnly, already applies to Text - so I'd like a feature that applies to any editable attribute.  Doesn't matter to me how it's implemented - but I assume "Freeze" itself would be an attribute and would never be subject to itself (i.e., "Freeze" would always be editable).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print