Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How would you manage a library of "questions" ? (Read 7147 times)
Yannick Bollati

Brussels, belgium
How would you manage a library of "questions" ?
Dec 25th, 2011, 5:55am

I am trying to build a TB model which would assist me running business workshop. In simple term during the workshop we will build several "models" as maps.

Then in a second part of the workshop, I want to "stress test" the different models by running a set of predefine questions for each models. I would like to have a library of pre-define questions (maybe 20/30 questions) that I could "apply" to each of the models we built.

At the end of the workshop, I want to have some reporting agents to export a report for each model we created, with the replies for each questions, model by model.

I have a prototype of my "model map", which create some adornments, etc so I can created easily as many new business model instances on the fly.

My question is: what is the best way to design this "library of questions" ?

I know that it's not possible for any rule/action to create new notes. So i guess I cannot "generate" on the fly new question notes when I create a new business model note ?
If I create a single set of question notes somewhere and create aliases, I don't see how I can store different answers for the same question to different models.

Any guidance, design pattern or example would be welcome !

Thanks

Yannick

WWW   IP Logged
Paul Walters

Re: How would you manage a library of "questions" ?
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2011, 9:09am

Perhaps if each of your questions is a note, then those 20-30 "standard" notes could be children of a master note, which you turn into a prototype.  Apply that prototype to a new instance of the master, and Tinderbox will create child notes of that instance which are exact copies of the "standard" child notes of the master.  Then modify those children as needed.   Remember, the newly created children are copies - not aliases - so put attributes, standard content, or anything else, into the master's children that you want to persist in the children before you apply the prototype to the new instance of the master.

IP Logged
Robert Matzken

Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2011, 10:07am

Think of each question as an Action. Define those Actions as Stamps. Select a Note (your 'Models'), and then choose a Stamp. This will perform the Action on the Model. Repeat for next Stamp.

In a workshop setting, manually applying Stamps will convey a 'real' almost physical environment. So I would not automate applying the Stamps.

to Report, I think I would design twice as many very simple HTML Templates as you have questions and then ask Mark B or Mark A how to write the Action (in the Stamp) in such a way, that based on the outcome, the various Actions terminate with adding one of two relevant Templates to a Master Template.

So after the last Stamp has been applied, the Master Template for every Model Note includes the Answer Templates, based on the outcome of the Action Query, for each of your questions.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2011, 11:04am

For the child notes/agents of your prototypes use $RuleDisabled if you wish to preset rules. The attribute doesn't inherit - i.e. if true in the source it will be false in the 'bequeathed' copy.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Yannick Bollati

Brussels, belgium
Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2011, 6:21pm

I do understand the prototype with sub-notes design I think. Seems a good route for my questions library.

But I do not understand the stamps design suggested by Robert.

Quote:
Think of each question as an Action. Define those Actions as Stamps. Select a Note (your 'Models'), and then choose a Stamp. This will perform the Action on the Model. Repeat for next Stamp.

In a workshop setting, manually applying Stamps will convey a 'real' almost physical environment. So I would not automate applying the Stamps.

If I have 30 questions, that means 30 stamps ! This would be quite a long list in the stamps menu. I don't really understand this design, unless I miss something ?

Yannick

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Dec 28th, 2011, 7:00am

As was noted, using stamps gives a 'manual' feel to the task but for 30+ items per subject might be cumbersome.

If each topic to be tested is set to use a prototype and that prototype has a child for each question, then adding all the questions in a cinch. By making any rules in the child (question) notes operate on values in their parent, the same question added to two different topic notes can access/process different data. If using a such an approach ensure the 'source' questions - the children of the prototype - all have $RuleDisabled set to true before adding the rule. That way the rule will never get run until it is in a copy of the note bequeathed via a prototype - read up on $RuleDisabled to see why this is.

Note that removing a prototype assignment doesn't remove bequeathed notes. But, what if you wanted to remove all the test notes once done testing. TB actions, by design, don't allow automated removal of notes, but it;'s easy to move notes to a common container from where they can manually be deleted. the first step is to make all the child notes of the topic note prototype use a common prototype name. Here, I'll use "p_topic" and "p_question" which we'll apply via code or manually to the topic prototype's children and any such notes already bequeathed. Make sure "p_question" is a prototype sibling to "p_topic" used by the other prototype's children and not one of its children Now make an action:

query:  $Prototype=="p_question" & !$RuleEnabled
action:  $Container(original) = "/bin"

The query finds all notes using the "p_question" prototype excepting  those where $RuleEnabled is false (the default value for that attribute) - i.e. the children of "p_topic". The action then moves the originals of the aliases in the agent to a root level container called "bin", creating the latter if necessary. The user can then review "bin" and delete the contents as appropriate.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Robert Matzken

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2012, 8:53am

Yannick,

I don't think you missed anything, it's just that I think I did not quite understand your requirements.

As Mark A has surmised, I suggested using Stamps to convey a 'manual' feel.

From your initial post, I got the impression that is what you wanted, hence my suggestion: you stamp each model with a series of individual questions.

I agree 30 stamps is a long list. And it would be easy to just batch-apply the whole lot in one go. Like I hinted at earlier, you could apply the whole set of questions to each model. This would be similar in result to following Mark A's procedure. And if you were to include all the models to be tested inside one container, then applying a Rule to that container would in effect apply all the 30 odd questions to all the models in one go.

The 'stamp' solution was only meant to offer the 'sensation' of testing each model by 'manually' applying all those questions individually.

Hope that clarified my thinking.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print