Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taskbox: A GTD/OmniFocus-style Task Manager (Read 14153 times)
Akiva R. Schoen

Seattle, WA
Taskbox: A GTD/OmniFocus-style Task Manager
Jan 09th, 2012, 4:00pm

I have no clue why I haven't posted about this yet but my first real project with Tinderbox was creating a GTD task manager that I ended up calling Taskbox. I've been using it for months as my sole GTD app and it works great. A couple of other Tinderbox users are also using it.

The concepts are inspired mainly by OmniFocus and it's currently only meant to be used in Outline mode. I'd like to get it working with the Timeline view, too.

Here's the Dropbox link: http://db.tt/waDlx48z

Let me know what you think. I'm always interested in ways to make it better.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Ted Goranson

Virginia Beach VA
Re: Taskbox: A GTD/OmniFocus-style Task Manager
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2012, 8:01pm

Thank you for your generosity.

WWW TedGoranson   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2012, 4:28am

Thanks for sharing - an interesting TBX with some useful ideas beyond just GTD. It's a nicely laid out document that I'd comment to others to view. Even if you don't do GTD there are some interesting ideas/examples of usage. I've also sent you some comments on the TBX by email.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
tadmcnulty

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2012, 5:44am

thank you! thank you!

IP Logged
russ lipton

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2012, 3:02am

Very nice.

@Mark: could you point to a few of the aspects you consider especially interesting or original?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2012, 4:09am

OK.  I liked:
  • Split of content form back-of house - latter is all in the 'Taskbox stuff'. This sort of split makes it much easier to place all such things out of scope for agent queries. In that regards having all the 'content' under 1 container sibling to the 'stuff' (instead of several as here) then the process is even easier. If all content comes under 'Content' (the exact name doesn't matter) then an query starting descendedFrom("content") addresses that and nothing else.
  • Use of notes for variables (and associated names). Neat idea - storing the path to the Taskbox root in case you used it later. Or lets say you wanted to move items to the absolute path to a container inside Taskbox. you could make code like $Container = $Text("tb_Path") + "/Completed" and if Taskbox moved you'd simply update the path in the $text of tb_path.
  • The complex Rule for the Task prototype is stored in the text of a code note whose $Rule sets its $Text to be the $Rule of the Task prototype. For complex/long code this is a very sensible way to be able to read/format code that overflows the edit box in the rename dialog. The code nodes can be stored away in the back-of-house part of the TBX (as discussed above) where they don't intrude.
  • Using column view to expose Booleans as tickboxes (Only the build-in $Checked is shown to the left of a note).
  • General attention to non-default use of badges, fonts, layout etc to enhance the 'app' UI. Incidentally there's no right/wrong in this context - do what suits you. The underlying point is as your doc/design matures don't overlook the numerous attributes controlling visualisation in main views, especially Map/Outline.  In v5.x, whilst Map changes get talked about more Outline has had a number of useful additions (more)

…hope that helps.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Paul Walters

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2012, 11:31am

This is a very kind gift -- almost like a mini-TBX Weekend.  Thank you!

I particularly like the professional look-and-feel.

IP Logged
Akiva R. Schoen

Seattle, WA
Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2012, 4:20pm

It's come to my attention that I uploaded an out-of-date version of Taskbox. Here's definitely the most recent:

http://db.tt/hFTVpVPc

Sorry about that!

And thanks!

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2012, 4:22pm by Akiva R. Schoen »  
  IP Logged
Rodney

Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2014, 1:26pm

I am working on a similar document and would like to be able to see how you set up yours. I tried the link, but it seems to be dead. Any chance you could give us a fresh link?

Thanks

IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2014, 2:43pm

I would be grateful to have a look at this as well.

IP Logged
Matthew Barker

Reply #10 - Oct 27th, 2014, 9:25pm

I'd also be very interested in looking at this.  The DropBox link is defunct.
Kind regards,
Matthew

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print