Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Syncing with text documents in the file system (Read 5485 times)
Kevin McKenzie

Syncing with text documents in the file system
Feb 08th, 2012, 2:42pm

One of the things that was mentioned at the Tinderbox weekend in Boston was the capability to sync with text documents in Dropbox, similarly to the way you can sync with Simplenote.  Instead of specifically integrating the Dropbox API, I'd like to request you instead make tinderbox capable of syncing with arbitrary text documents, so that if someone uses a different syncing program (Jungledisk, AeroFS, etc) they can still take advantage of the functionality.

IP Logged
Desalegn

Norway
Re: Syncing with text documents in the file system
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2014, 10:47am

This was exactly what I have been suggesting: like the External Folder Sync feature in Scrivener (nvALT and Devonthink are also build on that kind of system).

« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2014, 10:48am by Desalegn »  
  IP Logged
Jordan T. T-H

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2015, 12:53pm

This would be fantastic and most useful.

WWW   IP Logged
Ted Goranson

Virginia Beach VA
Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2015, 3:38pm

I don’t get it. How would this work? One of the strengths of TBx is that it “sees” the note and attributes so it can work on it.

Do you mean:

1) You create a note with as many attributes as you wish and tell the note to fetch $Text from a file that can be dynamic? You infer that you also want it to sync, so a ‘put’ as well?

2) You create a text file like you now make a SimpleNote note and somehow have it sync to a special folder?

3) You link a file the way you do now (by reference) and have it open somehow in the TBx UI but not be an actual note?

While I understand the desire to edit on other machines outside of TBx, the analogy with Scrivener and especially Devonthink doesn’t connect with me.

WWW TedGoranson   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print