Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The new and improved Outline & Text Window ! (Read 6269 times)
Marcelo Mirage

Brazil
The new and improved Outline & Text Window !
Feb 26th, 2012, 8:27am

Hello, everyone!

I apologize for having been away for so long, I was actually so busy USING Tinderbox that I didn't have time to TALK about it. Meanwhile, I think I learned a thing or two about, not only this fantastic application but also (and as a consequence) HTML and web designing in general.

Well, as you may know, the template doc Outliner&Text (available in the Tinderbox File Exchange) uses framesets, which some browsers have dumped altogether. Enter css3 and its beautiful resize command! No more JQueries are needed for a simple div resizing!

So, yesterday I came up with this new version (I'll submit it to mr. Bernstein and hopefully it'll be honored a place in the File Exchange).

=====

A few features and explanations:

The outline frame is, like I said, resizable. You can expand it horizontally across the dashed line, after which, it will displace the text frame below. Might seem weird at first, but occasionally I've come across some pretty deeply nested notes that get too crammed in little horizontal space. So I set a small font for the outline and gave it a lot of space to expand.

The naming system and exporting routine is much the same as before. You don't have to worry about any particular note, just open the index.html

Since images cannot be exported from Tinderbox (yet... Wink ), you have to manually copy and paste the two png images into /images folder for the disclosure triangles to work (at all). But that's the only external procedure you'll need.

About the title of index.html, it's the "Outliner" container that gives the index.html its title. Changing the name wouldn't be a good idea, so I created an attribute "YourName" and that, for all practical purposes, will be the title rendered in the final page result.
==============

Usage:

If you have a tbx document and wish to export all or parts of it using the template, just copy and drop them in the Outliner container. Wait a while, depending on your RAM and the number of notes your exporting, until the Renamer agent does its trick (yesterday I tried exporting 1500 notes with my feeble 1MB RAM old MB... hehehe it took a while for my poor agent to put it all together). Then export it (shift + cmd + H) to a desired location. Don't forget to copy and paste oopen.png and oclose.png into /images.

That's it, hope it's useful.

Marcelo Mirage Marcelo Mirage MMUmeda misantropov@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: The new and improved Outline & Text Window !
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2012, 9:15am

This sounds interesting.  Side note: IE / Opera don't support CSS Resize, so depending on the audience for your HTML output the result may vary.  If Mac users you should be fine. If cross-platform, likely the page won't be seen as expected by many of the users.

I look forward to seeing the new TBX on the exchange and trying it out.  Thanks for sharing!

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Marcelo Mirage

Brazil
Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2012, 9:50am

IE... IE... you know, this is a good opportunity to show support to the world-wide campaign against Internet Explorer.

I'll add a note advising users to avoid IE (and Opera, you're right, doesn't work... sigh...).

Oh, well... this is a template for future, more harmonious times to come.

I think everyone by now should have at least a copy of Chrome, which has resize implemented.
And for us, Mac users, Safari is always sympathetic to css improvements and works fine.

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2012, 10:12am by Marcelo Mirage »  
Marcelo Mirage

Brazil
Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2012, 11:36am

OK, here's the link for the 1.0 version. For testers.

Marcelo Mirage

Brazil
Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2012, 2:02pm

Mark, sorry to post some pics, but I feel the need to publish the template's visual presentation:

I thought of four scenarios:

1. Initial layout: outline column's size is restricted to the longest note.

2. Expanded outlines:

3. Expanded column, crossing the dotted line, moving text window below.

4. A possible small-screen layout (about... 600px wide)

Marcelo Mirage

Brazil
Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2012, 2:13pm

Now, my dream project would be to produce an editable document, like that fancy TiddlyWiki Mark Bernstein accomplished (nice project... too bad we haven't seen updates lately).

Imagine that for a shared document!!! Nothing too fancy at first, just regular editing. (create entries, rename them, create text... the tricky part being to create or edit the text, 'cause it's an external file...oh, well, one can dream)

p.s.: and how about the result being re-imported to Tinderbox? HTML Integration!

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2012, 2:25pm by Marcelo Mirage »  
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print