Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Common Words View for set or list (Read 10067 times)
Christian Tagsold

Common Words View for set or list
Mar 30th, 2012, 11:44am

Currently common words is somehow useful for me but a bit limited. It tells me that I use "der", "die" and "das" (German for the) most often in notes…
If I could have a common words view of a set attribute or a list instead that would be a perfect tag-cloud!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Common Words View for set or list
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2012, 12:25pm

This page explains the Common Words in a bit more detail. The article doesn't say - as I don't know for certain - but I assume the words being checked are in $Text; possibly in $Name as well. It's worth noting the fact about stoplist.txt. The app's default stoplist.txt's entries are listed here. Not surprisingly the default uses (American) English words. So, you might do well to add your own custom stoplist of German (?) words. It doesn't change the scope to attributes but it may allow you to suppress common words in your own language. I'll try and add a hint on this to the aTbref page on Common Words.

If you chop between several languages, you can make one custom one for each language you use (even perhaps share them via the forum or TB File Exchange). Or, you could put stop words for several languages in one file, given that TB can only use one stoplist.txt at a time and the active file must use that filename.

For the future, I can see the value in being able to set a non-default target attribute for the Common Words dialog, perhaps by a pop-up with the default selection being $Text (or $Text and $Name) to maintain the status quo.

[Later] Common Notes page updated.

« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2012, 2:04pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Christian Tagsold

Re: Common Words View for set or list
Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2012, 6:10am

Thanks for the hint with the stoplist. Since German has der die das an ein eine eines for "the" and "a" common word view is mostly populated by this without the stoplist.
For the request - I have found a very easy work-around which makes my request seem to be obsolete:
http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox/forum//YaBB.pl?num=1333274924/0#0

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print