Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Show represented URL in document windows (Read 4795 times)
Jonathan Aceituno

Show represented URL in document windows
Jun 03rd, 2012, 11:49am

I'm developing an application that leverages the information behind tiny icons next to document windows in title bars (the proxy icons). When such an icon is present in a window, there's usually a way to get the path of the current document : you can Cmd-click that icon to get a popup menu showing the folders that contain the document. You can also drag this icon as if it was the actual file. However, proxy icons aren't shown in Tinderbox...

Because proxy icons are very convenient (and also because I'd like to use them for my application), it would be nice to have them in Tinderbox.
I don't know how easy it would be to add them to the Tinderbox 5. Cocoa provides a nice method (setRepresentedURLSmiley for setting a window's document, which as a side effect shows a proxy icon. But with Carbon, I don't know. Isn't something like SetWindowProxyAlias enough ?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Show represented URL in document windows
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2012, 12:21pm

I believe version 6 (due I don't know when) is planned to move to a Cocoa infrastructure at which point such things are easily implemented.  As such I suspect there's little ROI on doing this pre-v6. However, if you want to discuss inter-app development you'd be better off [email-info@eastgate.com]emailing direct[/email] to Easgate. This is only a user-to-user forum and doesn't discuss development issues (we're users not coders!).

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Jonathan Aceituno

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2012, 1:18pm

Yes, I would be very surprised not to see this feature in Tinderbox 6, but to me, its release date seems distant enough to justify further evolution of Tinderbox 5.
I didn't just intend to discuss technical details (I understand it's not necessarily the right place), but also wanted to know whether other users missed this feature.
Existence of a demand in the user community and evidence of how easily could it be implemented would motivate the addition of this feature in future v5 versions. But I agree this thread should only tackle the first point Smiley.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2012, 6:48pm

Proxy icon support is fairly tricky for Tinderbox 5.  We'll take a fresh look at getting this into 5.12, but it might have to wait for 6.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print