Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Where do I find Tinderbox release notes? (Read 3784 times)
Bruce MacKay

Ontario, Canada
Where do I find Tinderbox release notes?
Jun 14th, 2012, 8:20pm

Having been a Tinderbox user for the past year, there is one thing that I struggle with each time there is a new version announced.

Where are the detailed release notes?

Am I missing something obvious?

I have looked on the web site, the forum and the wiki.   The "What's New in 5.11.2" link just points to what is essentially a  5.11.1 marketing page  which is sending mixed messages about current versions and very little meat.

How about one neat page that's easy to find, similar to http://maven.apache.org/release-notes-all.html

Otherwise, thank you Mark for everything that Tinderbox is and will be.

Bruce

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2012, 9:31pm by Bruce MacKay »  
  IP Logged
Paul Walters

Re: Where do I find Tinderbox release notes?
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2012, 9:50pm

Always in the app at

Help > Release Notes

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2012, 9:50pm by Paul Walters »  
  IP Logged
Bruce MacKay

Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2012, 2:01am

I guess what I'm asking is whether they are online somewhere so I don't have to purchase/install a new version to see what has been fixed or added.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2012, 4:12am

If you want the release notes available as a separate download (i.e. just the TBX file) I'd drop a line to support. For the TB release notes to be written for (HTML or print/PDF) export the TBX doc would need more structure, all detracting from the time of its author, in turn eating into the time actually spent doing the fixes. Also anyone, user or not, can easily preview a new version's release notes:
  • Download the new version
  • Close your current TB if open
  • Double-click the DMG and let it mount
  • Open the TB on the DMG volume
  • *View the new versions release notes.**
  • Close them and the app when done.
  • Either drag the new app to Applications to upgrade (assuming your licence currently allow, or unmount the DMD.  If you need to upgrade your licence, keep the DMG ready to upgrade once ready.
** You can still open a new/existing TBX doc to experiment if required.  The state of your free upgrade licence will determine if the new app will function in full or demo mode. At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious if testing whether some significant (to you) glitch is resolved do experiment with a copy of a real doc (backups!).

The broader strokes of each release are summarised in my aTbRef in the change log section: http://www.acrobatfaq.com/atbref5/index/ChangeLog.html. Items of significance whether new, improvements or fixes are included in appropriate articles in the document. The per-issue change pages are actually agents that look for references to that version. The version page may also include some specific notes.  The very minor points (often various UI glitch fixes) are left to reading the release notes. aTbRef runs TB alongside version releases. The current site is benchmarked from v5.0.0, i.e. per-version changes before that aren't noted in the text.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Russ Mitchell

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2012, 3:41pm

I agree with Bruce. It would be nice to see release notes online before downloading the latest version.

IP Logged
Erwin

Antwerp, Belgium
Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2016, 8:52am

I must be running lightyears behind  Shocked
Version 6.6.1
- not in the Help menu
- searching for a downloadable tbx file (as appears in multiple videos of previous versions) but not to be found
- I also seem to have lost the aTbRef file? Obtaining the aTbRef source TBX files seems to be still possible for atbref5

An update please?

Thx!

Erwin

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 2016, 1:47pm

The Tinderbox release notes are found in the Tinderbox HELP document.  The most significant release notes are also found on the Release page at the Tinderbox site, for example:
    http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox/updates/Tinderbox665.html

The best way to hear more about new releases is to subscribe to the Eastgate List; drop a note to bernstein@eastgate.com if you'd like to subscribe, or click the convenient checkbox next time you upgrade.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Dec 31st, 2016, 2:53pm

The currentv6  aTbRef TBX is available from the same place in aTbRef as before: see http://www.acrobatfaq.com/atbref6/index/AboutaTbRef/ObtainingtheaTbRefsource.htm...

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print