Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clones and Scrivener (Read 4621 times)
JeffAbbott

Clones and Scrivener
Jun 14th, 2012, 10:20pm

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I'm several Tinderbox versions behind the current release. If you have a Tinderbox outline with clones, what happens to the clones when you export to Scrivener? Obviously they do not "act" as clones once in Scrivener, but do the clones appear in the Scrivener outline? Thank you in advance.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Clones and Scrivener
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2012, 10:48am

First, to clarity, i'll assume by 'clone' you mean an alias? TB has no 'clone' feature. You can duplicate notes but they become a new note so aren't probably what to mean.

The limitation here is Scrivener's import options. It does consume OPML but the latter format** doesn't allow for constructs like aliases. So, Scrivener will simply see the same data turning up on different places in the imported outline.

** it's for basic outline interchange. Even including $Text info is a non-standard extension to the format that was popularised originally by OmniOutliner.

So, practically, what can you do?  The export pushes out $Text, $Name and $Checked data. ISTM the best approach would be to seed your $Name or $Text with a marker indicating the note is aliased, so that you can more easily re-connect such aliases within Scrivener once imported.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
JeffAbbott

Re: Clones and Scrivener
Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2012, 11:03am

Thank you Mark. Apologies, yes, I mean alias. I used to use MORE so I tend to think in "clone" terms.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print