Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No hard coded colours (Read 4888 times)
Bruce MacKay

Ontario, Canada
No hard coded colours
Jun 25th, 2012, 12:28am

Tinderbox currently seems to wander across the line between user adjustable colours and hard coded vaiues.

Take the file colors.xml for example.  

In outline or note edit mode, the Note/Color menu, honors both the colour name and hex value, yet the Style/Color menu uses default names whether they are present in the colors.xml or not.  If not, the result  is unexpected and highlighting just plain breaks.

My suggestion is to ship Tinderbox with a default colour scheme, but to better support custom colors consistently throughout the interface.  It should be the responsibility of the end user to choose their own "optimum" colors.   I'd be quite happy if all of the colour menus simply honoured all the fields in colors.xml.

Finally, the ordering of the colours in Style/Color could simply take the colours in the order they are presented in the XML file, and assign hotkeys to the first four values.

« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2012, 12:34am by Bruce MacKay »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: No hard coded colours
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2012, 4:19am

It sounds as though you've edited the colors.xml file but omitted to edit the menus.xml file for your desired colour use in text windows. The status quo is described below. I think the menu.xml is a hanover from some early design that will likely go, or change, in the upcoming v6. Thus I don't see the v5 UI changing (it works as described below) but if you have more immediate concerns I'd suggest you contact support directly as this is about as far under the hood as we users can reach.

A colour menu is used in two different contexts for two different purposes:
  • setting $Color in major view windows.
  • setting the text colour of $Text selections in text windows.
Colour in major views (Outline, Map, Chart, Timeline, Treeview).The colours listed are all those currently defined via app defaults, custom colors.xml, or in-doc edits via the Colors pane. Changing colors.xml requires the doc to be re-opened to see effects, a full app restart is not needed; such changes only ever add to the defined colours, removing a name does not delete colours from the document**. All [sic] the document's defined colours are offered in alphabetical order by these colour menus.

Colour in Text windows. This menu is as defined by the app and can be altered via a custom menus.xml file and referencing any colours defined for that TBX. If you delete any of the app's default colours - i.e. ones used in this menu, then you should make a custom menus.xml and edit it accordingly. If you don't, colors will be listed here that have no defined colour; if applied to text an error value will be applied (most likely white #ffffff). Editing the menu has no effect on the mapping of shortcuts to note text colours and the assignments can't be altered by the user.

** So, if experimenting, you may want to ensure you don't open other TBXs whilst you've a custom colors.xml in place - at least until you're happy you have change you do want added to every new file and to any existing files subsequently opened and saved.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Bruce MacKay

Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2012, 9:05am

Thanks, Mark.

Good tip.  I'll have a look at that now.   Hopefully that will also solve the problem I was having with highlighting.

Yes, I have been working on vanilla test files without custom colours, although I did start my experimentation with the TBC files, until I understood them fully and realized their limitations.

IP Logged
Bruce MacKay

Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2012, 10:17am

Just an FYI, but some of the children of http://www.acrobatfaq.com/atbref5/index/VisualStyling.html seem to be spitting errors from the web host.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2012, 11:46am

Thanks, fixed the broken pages.  Looks like a sync update went wrong.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print