Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Linking to Reference managers (Read 27145 times)
Jacek Gwizdka

Re: Linking to Reference managers
Reply #15 - Jul 14th, 2012, 12:50am

I have somewhat similar needs. I want to get data from Zotero (citation info (w abstract) + tags + notes + related article links + link to a local copy of a PDF). Then I would like to import it to Tinderbox so that each citation becomes an item (an object), with notes, tags etc attached to it as separate note items. I would like to preserve related links between articles, so that those could be used to generate a map view of literature. It would be great to be able to open PDFs by using Zotero storage links. I am thinking if one might achieve these goals writing a new exporter for Zotero (see in zotero.org under support dev translators).

One other thing I would like to be able to do is to visualize using maps links between articles based on their citations (i.e. using a list of references to common citations between articles). And, of course, I do not want to construct it manually, but generate automatically from data available for indexing databases (eg., WOS, Scopus).  

Note I am very very new to TB.  So, I am speculating on what's possible.

IP Logged
pierfranco

Re: Linking to Reference managers
Reply #16 - Jul 14th, 2012, 4:27am

Jacek,

what you describe would be really amazing. I could say: it's a dream. It would complement Zotero, which lacks features for analyzing connections between publications and the ability of displayng maps. It would be especially useful for anyone involved in social and humanities studies, where so much depends on the analysis of the literature and the ability to develop original literature reviews.
The feasibility, as you say, would depend on a new Zotero export format. It would make the bundle Zotero+Tinderbox a very original tool that no company can offer now. I Unfortunately so far nothing of the kind exists.
I think the posts of this series can be also useful to Tinderbox developers to show the potentialities of Zotero as a tool for doing qualitative research, in this case in any field of scientific literature.
pierfranco

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print