Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Proportional autoexpansion in maps (Read 4211 times)
Paul Walters

Proportional autoexpansion in maps
Jul 05th, 2012, 6:29am

Apologies if this has been suggested before or if there is a straightforward way to do the following automatically.

in Tinderbox > Edit > Document Preferences > If note name is too large, I believe an additional option to "expand proportionally" would be useful.  This would combine the action of "expand horizontally" and "expand vertically" and enlarge /or/ contract the note without changing the font size, in proportion to the existing H x W relationship, until the name text fills the note.

I believe all of this can be accomplished with stamps or actions, but I'd be looking for an in-built feature to adjust notes as I create them.

Again - apologies if this is already there.  Cool

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Proportional autoexpansion in maps
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2012, 6:52am

Said feature isn't lurking somewhere. FWIW, it's my intuitive understanding of 'expand to fit' too. I can see though that it involves more calculation than simply altering the icon height or width and likely the reason it's not (yet!) an option.

A practical thought. If you're a regular note taker in map view and wont to use long titles, then set your doc's $Height and $Width defaults to something larger. This can't be done via Preferences (feature request!) so you need to use either Info view or the System Attributes dialog (just ask if unsure how).

Whilst I don't think the existing $Height and $Width defaults (1 x 3)  are wrong, given how the map view has evolved I think making it easier to set a larger default size via an app/doc preference would be a significant help for map-based note-takers (regardless of the original suggestion above).

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2012, 1:39pm

One problem here is that expanding proportionally tends to conflict with the map view's coarse grid.

Suppose we start out at 1x3.  The next bigger size is 1.25 x 3.75 -- so we’re already 50% bigger.  The next notch is 1.5 x 4.5 -- or 225% of the original area.

But this could be done....

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2012, 1:55pm

Not sure about the OP, but my use of 'proportional' was too precise. I'd have imagined notching next to 1.2 x 3.2 or some such. That's why I figured there would be some overhead of calculation. Or maybe for each N units on one axis, N*X units are added to the other. bottom line, not proportional but staying roughly rectangular.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print