Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Best way to export to Scrivener (Read 30660 times)
Ian Greig

Wokingham, UK
Re: Best way to export to Scrivener
Reply #15 - Jul 08th, 2012, 11:00am

It took me a little while to 'get' this and make the pref. setting although KB (on Lit and Lat forum) had mentioned it.

Don't think your demo needs complete re-write -- your policy of 'continuous improvement' will be more than enough :Cool. It's a clear and very helpful resource.

--IanG
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #16 - Jul 9th, 2012, 5:38am

Tutorial updated again! I think it now covers the Scrivener preferences available. The v2.3 need to add 'opml' as an import type should be temporary as opml will be in the default set form the next Scrivener release.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
mrkwr

Reply #17 - Aug 16th, 2012, 10:11am

I kept having problems with the OPML/Scrivener not working (I would just get a blank opml file) until I realised that the Scrivener template is hardcoded to expect the Templates folder to be at root level. Because all my tinderbox documents have a root level folder for internal/non-content stuff prototypes, templates, other meta stuff the Scrivener/OPML built-in templates always got added here, and hence didn't work.

Is it possible to modify the template so that it can be stored at an arbitrary level in the hierarchy?

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #18 - Aug 16th, 2012, 10:24am

mrkwrk:  You can do this yourself.

In the Scriver template, you'll see the line

^children(/Templates/Scrivener/Scrivener item)^

This means, "export each of the note's children, using the template "Scrivener item" inside the container /Templates/Scrivener.  Just change the path to whatever you prefer.

You'll also need to change the corresponding line in the template Scrivener item.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #19 - Aug 16th, 2012, 10:42am

In fact, the 'path' argument in ^children(path)^ can be a full path ($Path) or just a note's title ($Name), though unless careful a title alone might not be unique within the TBX. For that reason I now tend towards using template names like 't_scrivener_item' or similar so as to be a name I'm very unlikely to use as the name of an actual 'content' note.

An impotant further point is that if you rename or move/nest existing templates you will likely need to reset the template choice in any note(s) already set to use the templates. I mention this as you might assume, as with renaming a prototype, that affected notes update themselves. They don't, which can lead to some head-scratching if you suddenly decide to rename/arrange the templates in a mature document.

If your Templates are stored in "Templates" other than at root level, Tinderbox will find and use that if you try to add built-in templates (i.e. it won't make a new root-level folder**. THe same goes for the Prototypes container. In both cases, TB won't set the $OnAdd action provided when TB makes a new template/prototype container as it will assume the user has set this already (plus there may be other user OnAdd code it doesn't want to damage).

** If more than one such container exists, TB will use the first in $OutlineOrder in which to add the new template note(s).

« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2012, 10:43am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Dominique Renauld

Reply #20 - Mar 31st, 2016, 10:30am

Hi! I was joining the Tinderbox forum when I saw that topic I had already read. I made a new short video about how to export some selected notes from Tinderbox to Scrivener using File and Export. It's the common way I follow when I have to reelaborate a Tbx map in a more linear way. This is the link to the video : http://www.dominiquerenauld.net/journal/31/3/2016/import-export

Twitter : @dominiq_renauld
WWW   IP Logged
wajakob

Reply #21 - Mar 31st, 2016, 11:25am

Merci! C'est tres utile.

IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #22 - Mar 31st, 2016, 5:00pm

Indeed! These are great. I put out a Tweet about it, https://twitter.com/JamesFallows/status/715619748520787968, and am really glad you are doing these.

IP Logged
Greg Korgeski

Vermont
Reply #23 - Apr 4th, 2016, 10:41am

D'accord, Dominique! Thanks again!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print