Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Best way to export to Scrivener (Read 30915 times)
Ian Greig

Wokingham, UK
Best way to export to Scrivener
Jul 05th, 2012, 6:12pm

Apologies if this has been covered before but a search didn't turn up what I need...

I have upgraded to 5.11.2 and installed the Scrivener template etc. My export could be read by Scrivener but as rtf with all the XML formatting showing. Not quite what I wanted...

Could someone walk me simply through the export and import?

FYI I am aiming to use Tinderbox to work up my outline and structure, to write a book chapter(s) in Scrivener -- this seems to be the golden partnership.

--IanG
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Best way to export to Scrivener
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2012, 3:33am

OK, using TB v5.11.2 with built-in Scrivener export templates and Scrivener 2.3, on OS 10.6.8...
  • I added the built-in Scrivener templates to my document.
  • I set the root container of the data to export to use the Scrivener export template as its HTML export template (via the drop down on HTML view)
  • From HTML view I clicked the export button. You could use File Export as HTML, though that exports the whole document, not just your HTML.
  • I took the OPML file generated and dropped it onto the Scrivener Binder as per Scrivener manual Appendix B paper pages 493-494.
  • Expected data imports into Scrivener.
    • OPML format is plain text only, bold, italic, font face/colour, highlighting etc. do not transfer. This is to be expected
      because of the OPML format's limitations. Similarly, links are not transferred.
If you are still having problems I suggest you sent your OPML file to Tinderbox support.

Sidenotes:

If you're wondering whether you need to set the extension of the exported OPML file, you don't need to bother. The template does that task for you via code in the template: ^action(HTMLExportExtension=".opml")^. By running as part of the export it copes with the user forgetting to set the '.opml' extension or setting it incorrectly.

As I came to test this morning I noticed Scrivener v2.3 update was out. I didn't see anything in its release notes indicating changes to OPML handling. I believe the OPML import should work in v2.0+.

« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2012, 3:40am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2012, 7:15am

OK, here's a little tutorial on the process: http://shoantel.clarify-it.com/d/63vggj

[Interested to know if these Clarify demos are useful, as they take a while to plan & make]

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Ian Greig

Wokingham, UK
Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2012, 8:19am

The Clarify-it is really good  a very helpful resource.

Actually the brief step-by-step you posted earlier is also a clear guide. Thanks for taking the trouble.

I still have the original problem -- on bringing the .opml into the Scrivener binder and opening it, I see .html rather than outline-format text.

I'm using Scrivener 2.3 and as far as I can tell, doing everything by the book as per Manual pp 493-494. I'll ask about this on the Scrivener forum but if you (Mark) or others have any insights, I'd be grateful.

Thanks again for a very good resource.

--IanG
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2012, 9:23am

Does the OPML file have a '.opml' extension, if not give said extension and try again.  Otherwise contact support for one of the apps, attaching you OPML file.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Ian Greig

Wokingham, UK
Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2012, 10:25am

It has a .opml extension but when you open it up, it is a .html file.

Looks like I need to tweak the export settings somehow. (Can't see a way to attach the file...)

--IanG
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2012, 4:39pm

I'd delete your templates, re-install from built-in, re-connect and re-export. It might fix the problem.  That said, to the less-trained eye OPML looks like HTML in terms of it being data with tags in angle brackets, so you may be seeing raw OPML. I think you probably need to speak to support.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Ian Greig

Wokingham, UK
Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2012, 5:20pm

Mark B is taking a look at the export file. It seems to have the .opml header but Scrivener is not seeing it as such. I'll do what you suggest with the templates.

--IanG
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #8 - Jul 6th, 2012, 10:15pm

I imported Ian Greig's file into my copy of Scrivener without difficulty; I think this may boil down to an issue in the Scrivener manual.

You want to drop the OPML file onto a Scrivener binder icon (e.g. "Research"), not onto the Scrivener dock icon.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2012, 3:38am

Indeed, as Scrivener newbie it actually took me quite a while to figure out what the Binder actually was. Anyway, I made sure the Bider showed - i.e. the left column with the overall outline. Within the Binder, you can drop pretty much anywhere including between items and for some (?) items as a child of it (i.e. as with moving items in a TB outline).

I'll take a look at making the above clearer in my demo and to drop a line to Scrivener support that the manual (unintentionally) ambiguous.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Ian Greig

Wokingham, UK
Reply #10 - Jul 7th, 2012, 4:58am

Where I was tripping up was thinking that importing, and dragging on to the binder, in Scrivener, performed the same action -- not the case.

Drop on to Binder means bringing Scrivener to front, and dragging/dropping the file on to the Binder tab (left hand pane). This carries out a different action on the file, from importing.

At the risk of being boringly repetitious, this is the sequence that I posted on the Scrivener board:

• Selected New Html View in Tinderbox
• Selected the Scrivener template (which I had installed earlier)
• Exported (in my instance, to Dropbox). It showed as .opml file in Dropbox.
• Brought Scrivener to front
• DID NOT IMPORT
• Dragged .opml file from Dropbox on to Scrivener binder

Learning point: In Scrivener, IMPORTING and DROPPING ON TO BINDER mean two different things and have quite different actions on the file being brought in.

--IanG
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2012, 8:15am

Dropbox - on the Mac - is simply a Finder [sic] folder albeit with special sharing/replication properties.  So your "Save to Dropbox" is better titled "Save to Finder", at which point it becomes self-evident why nothing happens.  In fairness to the Scrivener manual, having gone back and re-read it it does make the necessary points plain:

Quote:
When OPML files are dropped into the binder, Scrivener will attempt to convert these outlines into Scrivener outlines.

Whilst it doesn't explicitly say so, it doesn't suggest to drag onto the dock or do any other un-focused drop. By the latter I mean where the app has to guess your intent. If the process is still confusing, I'd request a Scrivener feature for File -> Import -> OPML.

« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2012, 8:20am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #12 - Jul 7th, 2012, 5:18pm

OK, demo updated further to take into account options in Scrivener preferences: http://shoantel.clarify-it.com/d/63vggj

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Ian Greig

Wokingham, UK
Reply #13 - Jul 7th, 2012, 5:45pm

Thanks for your input on this, Mark

--IanG
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #14 - Jul 8th, 2012, 6:47am

Hi, just discovered via the Lit & Lat forum that in order for File -> Import to allow selection of OPML files you must open Scrivener Preferences, Import/Export, Plain Export Types and add 'opml' to the list (I don't think entries are case sensitive). This is as at Scrivener v2.3 and I understand this will be set by default in due course in later releases (though v2.3.4 only just came out).

I'll update my demo in due course - it still works as written but now really needs a complete re-write. If you do the above preference change it's still very unclear as to where the data imports when you simply hit import.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print