Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Set to note to set (Read 4804 times)
Lars Christiansen

Lyon, FR
Set to note to set
Jul 08th, 2012, 5:18pm

Hello,
I have the following questioning and I am wondering if it can be solved within Tbx, or if my thinking is going in an incompatible direction.
I apologize in advance for overlooking something obvious.

Iím currently managing project teams with Tbx.
For each person I create a note with some bio, and assessment information.
At the starting point, when I create the note I do not know the role that the person will have in a project. He could be project leader for several projects, a supporting team member, both, or finally end up having no role at all.

When I create a note for a project Iíll assign the name of the project leader in a custom attribute. This attribute may of cause change over time.

It is my understanding that this attribute is, or could become a set, and when I click the drop down arrow I see the list of all the project leaders that I have assigned.

I could make links but I have several aliases for at least some of the persons.

My questions are:
Can I have the list of people (belonging to a particular prototype) linked automatically linked to the attribute?
If not is there some other way of unifying my set with certain types of notes?

Thank you in advance for your help an suggestions.

Best regards
Lars Christiansen

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
George Bernard Shaw, 190
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Set to note to set
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2012, 5:49pm

Almost there, but not quite how you imagine it!

An attribute is of a specific data type, that you set when you create it. Two types, Set and List, allow for multiple values per attribute per note. In your case, you've correctly guess you want a Set-type attribute. A special feature of a Set is that duplicates values are not allowed.

Separately, the values you see in the key attribute pop-up list (of String, List and Set type attributes) is a list of the unique values for that attribute across the whole document. For lists/sets, the values are individual values within the list for that note.

So, you want a Set type attribute but the pop-up list will only show the values you've already used. In other words, the pop-up list won't show "Project Lead" as a value until at least one note uses that as the attribute's value. Once that happens any other note will see that value as an option in it's pop-up list for the same attribute.

Quote:
Can I have the list of people (belonging to a particular prototype) linked automatically linked to the attribute?
No, because attributes are a property of a note. But, you can make Tinderbox link a note to any other note whose [AttributeName] attribute matches [some value].  Is this what you are trying to do?

A single attribute can store multiple values, but if Peter is 'Manager' of 'Project A' and 'Analyst' on 'Project B', if both the role and project are attributes are sets, will not tell you if Peter manages Project A, B or both.

I suspect what you want is possible, but it's just not 100% clear exactly what relationship you are trying to capture - given that to can't link to an attribute though you can create a link based on the value of an attribute.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Lars Christiansen

Lyon, FR
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2012, 3:51pm

Thanks Mark,
I realize that I was not precise in my explanation.

Let me try this to see if I can be clearer.

I have created a prototype Project.
I have also created a number of attributes for this prototype.
In my project structure a Project can have different actors, and sometimes several at the same time.
So my attributes are ProjectLeader, TechnicalCoordinator and Consultant.

I have also created a prototype Person.

So as a project is populated I want to assign the attributes with the right person.

My questioning is if it is possible to have the drop down menu for a given attribute populated with the list of the prototype (people) values.

In a traditionnel database context you would probably talk about a lookup table.

I know that I could use links to this, at least to some degree, but I use a separate window for each project, †a lot of aliases, and food reasons of readability it does not seem to be the most appropriate way for me to do this.

Thank you for your help, and for your contribution to this community, both for the Tinderbox a ref, and in the forum.

Best regards
Lars

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
George Bernard Shaw, 190
  IP Logged
Lars Christiansen

Lyon, FR
Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2012, 4:13pm

Hello,
Follow up to my previous question, with some more questions.

When I create a custom attribute, I can select the data type in the drop down menu.
There is one option which is action but it is greyed out.

Could it be possible solution to my previous question ?

Best regards
Lars

George Bernard Shaw, 190
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2012, 5:24pm

If you have a set attribute in the Key Attributes table, the pulldown menu lists each value that is currently in use.

If you wish to repopulate the possible values in a new document, simply place those values in a configuration note that is otherwise ignored.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2012, 7:38pm

To expand on Mark's (correct) answer. †Let's restate the question: "How to I predefine a fixed list of attribute values from which I must pick?". The answer, depending on the attribute's data type is:
  • List or Set data type. Make a note somewhere in the doc that includes all possible values for the attribute in question.
  • String data type. Make one note for each possible value for the attribute in question. Set each note's value for that attribute to be one of the overall possible list of values for the attribute. †
Note the difference in the number of notes needed to populate the list. The list can always be added to later by either adding to the master list (List/Set) or adding another per-vale note (String). These notes used to set-up the pop-up listing can be anywhere in the document.

« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2012, 4:38am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print