Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OPML export (Read 29361 times)
Apb123

OPML export
Aug 22nd, 2012, 2:45am

Newbie question

I use outlines a lot and would like to start using tinderbox as my outliner of choice. It is much better for me than omnioutliner. I store my outlines in OPML format

I have worked out how to export to OPML by having a root TEMPLATE containing OPML-wrapper and OPML-item.

However.. Is there a simpler way of doing this..or how can you make OPML export as a built in item.

If I am making 5-10 outlines a day it is a bit cumbersome to have to add this root template folder every time.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: OPML export
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2012, 9:59am

You can save a few steps by making a stationery pad that is already set up for OPML export. For example:

- pre-loaded OPML templates
- ready-made "root" note for your outline, set up to use the OPML export template

Store this stationery pad in the Favorites folder of your Tinderbox Support Folder (see the Help menu to open this), and it will always be ready for you in the Open Recent menu.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2012, 6:24pm

Set the HTML export template of any note to OPML-wrapper, open HTML view on that item and click the 'export' button. The note will export it and its descendants in OPML for to the TBXs existing (HTML) export folder. If the latter is not already set, the first time you try the above you will be asked to pick a folder as the export destination. It will then become the doc's export folder.

Another useful technique is to set up a prototype for the 'root' container of your export. Use HTML view to set the prototype's template as OPML-wrapper template and '.opml' as the export extension. As you're using a prototype these values are inherited and so if you remove the prototype, the values are no longer inherited - IOW the existing settings for these values aren't reset. Very flexible.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Ulli

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2012, 8:12am

Is there a more detailed description available how to export into opml? How do you create a template, where does it have to reside?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2012, 12:40pm

On the road in the backwoods of France, so hard to check right now but ISTR there were some walthroughs done for this (possibly by me). Perhaps a regular here can post a link if they recall or I'll take a look when back next week.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Sumner Gerard

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2012, 12:58pm

Can't find a step-by-step walkthrough, but suggest reading here, here, and here.

EDIT: Found Mark's (Scrivener-specific, but much of the discussion applies generally) OPML export walkthrough here.

« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2012, 1:08pm by Sumner Gerard »  
  IP Logged
Ulli

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2012, 3:00pm

Thanks guys, will read through this...

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2012, 10:46am

I've some ideas for a tutorial on this but in the meantime, consider using a starter' type file with all the necessary templates already added. Instructions for the latter are here, thuogh clearly you'll want to customise your TBX for your own needs.

Also consider prototypes.  Once a doc has the OPML templates added, make a prototype that is set up as an OPML doc export. Then, to export any (container) note as an OPML doc, simply apply the prototype (temporarily if needs be) to the container, open HTML view and hit the export button.

Though an 'export this branch' method is a good idea (TB v6 perhaps?) for TB v5.x the above offers the best solution. It's worth bearing in mind that against general expectation most TB users employ the app in subtly different ways so one-size-fits-all solutions are rarely effective and simply clog up menus for the benefit of just a few users plus long menus leave people struggling to find things...etc. It's a no-win situation for app designers!

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print