Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problems importing very large .CSV file (Read 5768 times)
Rob Forsyth

Problems importing very large .CSV file
Sep 20th, 2012, 6:12am

I'm trying to import into TBX a .CSV file that contains the results of a search of medical literature.

The .CSV file has ~1200 records each with three fields. The first (article title) is a sentence or so long and the third is a simple (yes/no) flag but the second is the article abstract that can be several paragraphs of free text. Total file size is 2.2MB

I was hoping to use TBX to help me organise articles by theme in Map view, using agents looking for words in the Title.

I've tried copy/pasting from Excel, and directly drag/dropping the .CSV file into TBX but I just get pizza-of-death. Should I be able to import a file of this  size? Any advice or comments? (Using TBX 5.10.2)  

Thanks

Rob

IP Logged
Rob Forsyth

Re: Problems importing very large .CSV file
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2012, 6:16am

Sorry - please ignore previous post. For some reason now working straightforwardly (I had previously tried pasting into a TBX containing a note, but pasting into an entirely empty new TBX worked)

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Problems importing very large .CSV file
Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2012, 7:05am

For reference, this is the sort of question that support can often handle more efficiently.

The best way to handle a problem that arises when you try to import a very large file is to make a test case with the first few items in that file. This can help distinguish three kinds of issues:

a) There's a problem understanding *any* of the data, or getting the structure right;

b) There's one record, somewhere in the big data file, over which Tinderbox is stumbling;

c) This is just going to take a long time.

We've seen all three in the wild, though (b) is by far the most common.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print