Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flexible links to files and folders (Read 15483 times)
AsafKeller

Flexible links to files and folders
Sep 23rd, 2012, 10:38pm

The ability to link a note to a file and folder is very useful. However, the link breaks if the original item is moved or renamed. It would be useful if the link is automatically adjusted, as in Scrivener or VoodooPad.
Thanks,

Asaf

IP Logged
steve harf

Cleveland, Ohio
Re: Flexible links to files and folders
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2012, 10:00am

A very simple way to get flexible links in Tinderbox is to create a folder in Finder and place aliases to the important documents in the folder. Use the File attribute in Tinderbox to reference the alias of the file (not the original). You can now move the file where ever you would like on your hard disk and the alias should be able to track it and Tinderbox will be able to open the original file (via the alias).

This is for low volume uses and it is fragile. If you move the folder of aliases, then all the Tinderbox references will be broken. For heavy duty situations, consider using DevonThink or Yojimbo which copies the documents into their databases and can provide a URL reference which can be stuffed in a URL attribute in Tinderbox. Click on the URL in Tinderbox and the important documents open in DevonThink or Yojimbo. I hope this helps.

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent feature (a URL reference that can be pasted into a Tinderbox URL attribute) in Scrivener?

- Steve Harf
WWW steveharf   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2012, 12:50pm

Quote:
Does anyone know if there is an equivalent feature (a URL reference that can be pasted into a Tinderbox URL attribute) in Scrivener?

As in an 'x-scrivener://' type of pseudo-protocol, along the lines of DT's? I don't believe so, but best place to ask would be on the Scrivener forums.

These 'pseudo' - as opposed to real, like http:// - protocols are neat though it's worth bearing in mind that with desktop apps (DT, Scrivener, etc.) the protocol applies to your local Mac's app and it's (local) documents. Sync systems like Dropbox (iCloud?) may allow multi-Mac use assuming the target app on each device stores it's data in a common place (and assuming said place is updated/online!). The pint being that it's all for naught if the protocol can't connect you to the right doc in the right app for the location in which you are.

« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2012, 12:51pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Paul Walters

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2012, 4:21pm

A small note, Just for clarity.  DEVONthink's "x-devonthink-item://" links rely on the unique identifier for each record in each DEVONthink database.  A DEVONthink link will work on any machine that possesses the containing database (and the DEVONthink app itself, of course, or DEVONthink to Go on i-devices.)   DEVONthink links do not rely on location within the file system.

IP Logged
Sumner Gerard

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2012, 5:09pm

So you can copy a DEVONthink database to another machine and access an item there using the exact same "x-devonthink-item://" link address as on the original machine? That's nice!  ... I've read you can easily set up a DT database to be accessible (via browser) from multiple machines, but don't know if you can just browse, or can also link to specific items, in which case possibly you could put that flexible link in a TB URL attribute.

Scrivener of course links out (via 'References') but I don't think you can link in.

In Dropbox I know you can right-click the file and under the Dropbox option 'Get Link' or 'Copy Public Link' (the latter if the doc is in your Public folder under Dropbox) and paste into TB's URL attribute. That is, I believe, a "real" https:// link, accessible from wherever.  

If you subsequently move the doc within your Dropbox folder you should still be able to get it just by clicking the TB URL, though Dropbox I think will then insist on "restoring" a version to its original location, which can mess up your filing system but at least you can get the doc... If you take it out of your Dropbox folder, then clicking the TB URL prompts Dropbox to tell you it's deleted and then offer to give you an older saved version.  So not totally flexible, but pretty robust.

IP Logged
Paul Walters

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2012, 5:22pm

There is a new beta version of the DEVONthink web server (see).  Unfortunately, the "x-devonthink-item" link opens DEVONthink and the DEVONthink web server doesn't support these links.

IP Logged
AsafKeller

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2012, 10:58am

So, this discussion has gone somewhat off track. Thanks for the suggestions, but I am still left without a solution (beyond the interesting aliases suggestion) for stable links to items in the filesystem. Please consider this a feature request.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2012, 11:32am

I assume other apps are going the extra step of making and saving (in app support folder?) their own alias for linked assets. That's pretty much Steve's concept with the app doing a bit more of the work. I've added a note on this technique to aTbRef here.

TB v5 is likely (new) feature complete now v6 is in the works. If there is a feature you really want to see added to v6 I'd ensure you let Eastgate know directly (via email) so the issues arising can be discussed directly, if needs be. By the conventions of a user-to-user forum suggestions made here are not formal feature requests though I'm sure Eastgate do read them.

The fact that fellow users are helpfully offering present-day workarounds shouldn't be misread as dismissive of the original idea. However, quite often, such suggestions are an acceptable fix for the original proposer and so are generally worth making.

« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2012, 11:44am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Paul Walters

Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2012, 11:47am

If this isn't the place for feature requests, then perhaps this forum section should have a different name than "Feature Requests"?   Undecided

Anyway ... I'm fully in favor of Asaf's original and restated request.  I find such application-specific, custom URLs very useful and hope that Tinderbox 6 might support a custom URL scheme.

(Sorry too that I hijacked a part of the thread for an OT sidebar.)

« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2012, 6:51am by Paul Walters »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2012, 12:10pm

I've just added a locked sticky/note here, re the 'status' of feature ideas floated in this forum; perhaps 'feature ideas' is a better title. That way I hope I can refer to it without seeming to jump on the proposer - which isn't the intent. The difficulty is - now speaking in general - the ideas floated in this sub-forum vary form the trivial to the niche/complex. At the same time the proposer's desire for the idea (or angst for lack of it) varies; does failure to acknowledge an idea's thread constitute rebuttal of the idea, etc., etc? So bottom line: if I (as a TB user) really want to see a feature, I should email it in as well as/instead of raising it here. The forum certainly allows for useful discussion and refinement of ideas. As forum moderator,  drawing on past misunderstandings, I'm just trying to manage expectations.  Smiley

FWIW, I too am in favour of the ideas here. Anyway, without knowing what may come in due course, I think I can safely say aliases/pseudo-protocols for linking out of/into TB are a 'known' issue for the app's future development, so any further '+1's aren't needed.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Sumner Gerard

Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2012, 8:24pm

I'm glad feature requests (sorry, I should say feature ideas) are floated out in the open rather than just in separate emails. That way I can pick up all kinds of things from people who actually know what they are doing. I never knew, for example, that Scrivener has flexible links such as Asaf is requesting (I mean suggesting) for Tinderbox, or that DEVONthink's custom URLs can still work with Tinderbox after a move to a different machine. These insights are not always directly related to the original request (sorry, idea) but are, I think, valuable nonetheless to the Tinderbox user community. For me misunderstandings are a particularly rich lode for insights, though I struggle to recall any here, except in the sense of struggling to sort out the concepts and the possibilities. This place surely is a veritable prototype of a rapid response system, and an oasis of civility. Thanks to fellow users and the moderators!

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2012, 9:16pm

Yes, this is the place for for feature requests, though emailing us directly doesn't hurt!

There are two subtle drawbacks to such "flexible" file links.

a) Under the hood, these are implemented as OS X aliases.  This is a very old part of the operating system which is not very portable nor, I think, assured to last in this form.  

b) This might not be exactly what one wants in the general case.  In particular, if you're moving things among machines or collaborating with other people, the "flexible" link is liable to point back to the original file when you'd like it to point to a local copy.

So, as Mark Anderson points out, a common alternative has been to copy the whole file into the application document, or into a database.  But that's got its own problems!

So, yes -- this is definitely of interest, and we're looking for good solutions.  I;m not quite certain what the best approach is.

WWW   IP Logged
steve harf

Cleveland, Ohio
Reply #12 - Oct 3rd, 2012, 9:12pm

If you are confident with your Automator skills, I have created a workflow here https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14075807/Tinderbox%20Alias%20Path.workflow.zip that might help with flexible links based on aliases. When installed it adds a service to the contextual menu ("Services" sub-menu) in the Finder called "Tinderbox Alias Path". Click on a file, select the "Tinderbox Alias Path" service from the contextual menu and the workflow creates an alias to the file and places the alias in a "special" folder, plus the path to the alias is placed on the clipboard (ready for you to paste this path into Tinderbox).

It is a surprisingly simple Automator workflow. There is a one-time setup, which involves creating the "special" folder where you want all the aliases to be stored and configuring the workflow (in Automator, described below) to place the aliases in your special folder. In Automator, the workflow looks like this:

Click on the "Path" pop-up menu and select "Edit..." to pick the "special" folder.

Save the workflow and double-click the workflow in the Finder to install it as a service.

Perhaps this will take some of the "pain" out of this process.

- Steve Harf
WWW steveharf   IP Logged
Desalegn

Norway
Reply #13 - Feb 24th, 2014, 5:43pm

I installed your workflow. But, I am getting only a file name of the Elias in my Tinderbox document. Did I do sth wrong or the workflow is supposed to Paste only the filename of the elias file? (What is the point of pasting the file name if the file  couldn't be opened/read inside TB?)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print