Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shortcuts in $Text pane (Read 34725 times)
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Shortcuts in $Text pane
Oct 23rd, 2012, 6:35am

I've been reminded these (standard) shortcuts aren't (yet) listed in aTbRef but do work in the $Text pane of a note's text window:
  • Cmd+Left/Right/Up/Down arrow. Move to beginning/end of line, beginning/end of text.
  • Adding Shift to any of the above extends selection in that direction
  • Opt left/right arrow. Move to beginning/end of previous/next word (or current word if cursor is currently within a word)
  • Opt +up/down arrow. Go to beginning end of current or prev/next paragraph.
  • Opt backspace/fwd-delete will delete previous/next word (or part thereof if in a word)
  • Cmd+Crtl+D+selection, will open a pop-up of Dictionary for the selected word.
  • Home/End keys. Will scroll $Text show start or end of text is shown but cursor/insertion point is not moved, nor is vertical scroll bar updated.
  • Page/up down. Will scroll* $Text up/down one page at current $Text pane size but cursor/insertion point is not moved, nor is vertical scroll bar updated.
You may also find these Unicode references useful for using some common Mac keyboard symbols in text:

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Shortcuts in $Text pane
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2012, 12:55pm

The aforementioned $Text pane shortcuts are now added to the aTbRef Reverse Lookup page. A new page has been added covering the Unicode codes for symbols.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Sumner Gerard

Re: Shortcuts in $Text pane / Unicode Codes
Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2012, 12:41pm

That new aTbRef page on Unicode codes for symbols is really useful. Thanks. Never noticed Unicode Hex Input in the long list of "languages"under Language and Text Preferences, and if I had, I wouldn't have known how to use it. Makes it easy to insert interesting symbols, common and exotic.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Shortcuts in $Text pane
Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2012, 1:00pm

I you want to go exploring, I also thoroughly recommend UnicodeChecker which is free (donationware); it's much easier than the Mac Character viewer, at least in terms of searching the Unicode tables. Anyway, it's what I used to find and make that list. Indeed, the screen grab is my Favourites list in UnicodeChecker.

It's clear there's looseness over some symbols - Return and Enter certainly seem to have no unambiguous choice.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print