Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A Tinderbox for reviewing tagged notes (Read 8440 times)
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
A Tinderbox for reviewing tagged notes
Oct 23rd, 2012, 10:55am

Over at the Scrivener forum, there was discussion about how to review notes transcribed from paper notebooks. A Tinderbox based solution is described here - it's a separate web page as the explanation is illustrated and too long for a forum post.

In a hurry? Grab & go: get the above article as a PDF plus specimen TBX files from here.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: A Tinderbox for reviewing tagged notes
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2012, 10:00am

Just uploaded a new Zip & web page.  I found a couple of non-fatal but no-best-practice errors in my action - mainly missing 4-prefixes. I also added reference links in the article pointing to aTbRef pages for attributes, action codes, etc., being used in the demo.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Sumner Gerard

Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2012, 10:58pm

I was worried about the setup work, not sure where this was going, or whether it would be useful for me.  But after plunging into the demo tbx I think I see, among other things, the answer to one of those "I wish Tinderbox could do that" questions.  Tinderbox can "filter" data using something very similar to one of those dropdown lists so useful in Excel and other applications. Thanks, Mark.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2012, 3:25am

Thanks, it makes all the effort worthwhile! In truth, started out not knowing if the task was possible but wondering if the original task could be fulfilled. If you look at the indexing thread, there the index terms (think tags here) each checked for instances of themselves; you could easily do the same here. Or, tags could auto-link to source articles using them, etc. The demo isn't the only way to do this, but hopefully indicates some of the general building blocks a wider audience might use.

Another exercise for the user is to think about import. In recent threads elsewhere you've shown how tab-delimited data import works well. There is also explode. By using $Text.contains() one might recover tags placed in source, etc.

Writing the assembly instructions is the hard part of these tutorials but I'm always reminded how the process makes me fine errors or optimise my original plan. If one can't explain it to someone else, maybe somethings' not right. I think the Clarify style presentation** helps lessen the 'techie' aspect of seeing how the pieces fit together. Also, once done, the 'code' - the bit most people dislike doing - will rarely if ever need to be touched. Projects like this have really brought home to me how powerful prototypes are; a boon and not something to be feared.

** in fairness, I could have made all that HTML/PDF using Tinderbox export, but then I'd have had to build another TBX app! Sometimes a one-task inexpensive utility like Clarify is the way to go.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Sumner Gerard

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2012, 11:04pm

Aside from importing AppleScript-exploded text from DEVONthink, mostly untagged, I use Simplenote on the iPhone and iPad to capture and tag ideas and quotes on the go. Mostly these are just collecting in the hundreds in Simplenote for further organization sometime "in the future," which never quite arrives. I haven't yet tried syncing to Tinderbox (I really don't want to mess up and lose them) but I'm thinking this system could work well with the Simplenote container (which I understand can retain the Simplenote tags). Or perhaps with a container containing aliases of the contents in the Simplenote container?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2012, 5:00am

I see no reason why the 'source' container shouldn't be the simplenote sync container. Especially if you're not doing anything to the source notes other than interrogate them. IOW, if you're only querying the SN notes from elsewhere in the TBX you won't be doing anything that affects them in terms of sync.

Aliases? I guess so. In which case I'd make an agent that queried inside(/simplenote) and then make the other parts of the process look at notes inside the agent. It's more infrastructure and more overhead so I'd probably not go that route unless I had to. Still, caution can be good.

Ah, one benison of this latter route is if not all SN notes are tagged, you can find just the tagged ones in your initial agent query, so per-tag queries only work within that smaller set. In this way you're actually following agent best practice by starting the query by scoping down as much as possible. So agent #1 find only tagged SN notes, whilst agent #2 looks in #1 (pre-scoped dataset) for tags of a given type. In a sense agent #1 is acting as a database stored query (pre-queried data).

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print