Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Narrative Method (Read 18883 times)
mike wrenn

Narrative Method
Nov 12th, 2012, 8:22pm

I have been using Tinderbox to study narrative methods. Has anybody else done this? I am interested in non-East Asian and non-European / N. American concepts.

Twitter: @Auxhiler
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Narrative Method
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2012, 7:13am

Very cool.

I know several people who have used Tinderbox in the context of narratology.  And the world-building seminar for nanowrimo will touch on this as well.  But Asian narrative theory in new to me.

WWW   IP Logged
Ted Goranson

Virginia Beach VA
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2012, 8:54pm

We (Beth Cardier and I) have been working in more or less the same area. With Keith Devlin, we used TBx map view as a modeling tool for situated agent dynamics in narrative. This is less about the structure of a story than modeling the way it is interpreted.

So it isn't narratology in the traditional sense.

I am on extended travel and find the inability to DIRECTLY post an image (to the forum) a big hassle. But we do have some interesting images of maps used in the early work. And we intend a much more ambitious use in the near future.

« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2012, 10:28pm by Ted Goranson »  
WWW TedGoranson   IP Logged
mike wrenn

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2012, 7:17am

Mark Bernstein, thanks. I have had my eye on the NaNoWriMo world developing posts (oops, missed the last two additions). The best way to participate there is by email? Any place for open dialogue?

Ted Goranson, thanks for the contact. I understand the issue with posting images. I wandered into narratology by accident (didn't even know the term until yesterday). So I am not familiar with traditional sensibilities. This or that, your comment of a story's structure vs. its interpretation is the sort of thing that drew me here. What's the best way to keep a discussion?

To add to the dialogue, I used to think "a story is a story, it has a beginning a middle and an end." But the Japanese "4 panel comic" (yonkoma manga) struck me, along with its similarities to kabuki and noh narrative structures. After a few years of puzzling over that "extra block", I remembered a college lecture where the professor mentioned different patterns dialogues and stories tend to take based on culture (my linguistics professor, I think).

Regretfully, I was young and impetuous then, writing that talk off as hot gas (the thought in my head at the time). "Any story or sentence has a beginning, middle and end." Right?

But remembering the professor talk about how Indian narrative tends to be cyclical, Asian narrative tends to be circular, European narrative tends to be linear and (my current hangup) Latin narrative tends to zig-zag ... yup.

And Tinderbox.

Twitter: @Auxhiler
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2012, 11:00am

To discuss the world building seminar, you might use

There's been a slight delay, as I've been rebuilding networks and hard disks this week. A new episode will be available Wednesday or Thursday.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print