Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using tbx to visual citations between authors (Read 4832 times)
Eleanor

Using tbx to visual citations between authors
Nov 18th, 2012, 10:11am

I am a graduate student trying to figure out how to organize research books/articles from the social sciences.

One thing I've been wanting to get a better handle on is understanding how the authors in my field are citing other articles/authors.

Here is an interesting project that offers me a little inspiration
http://www.autodeskresearch.com/projects/citeology
Also, the Google Scholar feature "cited by" is indispensable for my research.

What are some options for showing these relationships using Tbx? Ideally I'd like to describe the nature of the citation (e.g. Author A uses the results from Author B's Study 1 as evidence for Theory 1).

Any ideas would be much appreciated!
Eleanor

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Using tbx to visual citations between authors
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2012, 4:33pm

Quote:
Ideally I'd like to describe the nature of the citation (e.g. Author A uses the results from Author B's Study 1 as evidence for Theory 1)

Err, in what context? As a label in each link? As a query? I notice the citelogy links don't use labels as with 000s of links the labels would just be visual noise.

It's certainly not a problem to show links in Tinderbox. Ideally, someone will be working in exactly your filed and will show a working example. Mote realistically, lots of people will be doing something similar but which (for varying reasons) they can't share or don't feel is a good enough overlap to warrant a post.

The best option for 'showing;' relationships is TB's Map view as this shows links. Actually, Timeline view does too - if times/dates are a pertinent arc to the data

Why not post a link to a TBX file with some specimen data? Then your fellow users here can use that reference to help explore the ways you can visualise relationships.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print