Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
If you have the right attitude,... (Read 2172 times)
Lars Christiansen

Lyon, FR
If you have the right attitude,...
Dec 29th, 2012, 1:41pm

This post is kind of the continuation of "So, umm..., what is this app actually for?"
http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox/forum//YaBB.pl?num=1308788939, but as it is a bit different I preferred to start a different topic.

Everybody seems to want to define Tinderbox with a word, category or phrase, and personally I have not yet found a proposal that I find fitting.

I'm also convinced that it would be unfair to Tinderbox to try to push it into a category, even if it was a brand new category reserved for Tinderbox.

I think that when you encounter Tinderbox the first time on the web, you either pass by without looking back, or you have a hunch.
Like some stars that are only visible when you focus besides them, and disappear when you focus directly on them.

Tinderbox is of cause an outliner, a mind mapper and many well known and categorized tools, but it is more and that is the hunch that you get (or not) at the first encounter.

When the wooden smith find a special piece of wood he knows right away that something special can come out of it. A chair, a table, matches..., he sees the potential, not necessarily the immediate use.
I think that Tinderbox is similar. Like you can make matches from the piece of wood, you can make lists in Tinderbox (and Tinderbox is indeed very good at making lists).
But that was not the hunch really.

Notes, yes, but notes can be a list of stuff to buy, or a handwritten note by a great author. The note is just the support.
Maybe it is our confusion with the tutorials.
  • The case study by the lawyer: I'm not studying cases!
    The students schedule: I'm neither student nor lawyer!
    Mark Bernstein's website:I'm not MB, and it does not interest me to have a website!

We are looking straight at the stars and do not rightly see them, we should look next to them to see clearly.
In each of the examples a person has solved an interesting problem, case, need; for him that is.
What was interesting was the problem, but more so that Tinderbox provided a way to resolve it.

So bring your interesting problem to Tinderbox, and with luck you'll find clarification.
You'll be surprised how often it works.

So to paraphrase Stallman:
If you bring an interesting problem to Tinderbox, interesting solutions may appear to you.

Happy holidays to everybody,
Lars

PS
That is just my way of using Tinderbox.

PPS
 The complete citation from Stallman is
"If you have the right attitude, interesting problems will find you"

PPPS
I am in no way implying that it is an unfit attitude to ask what Tinderbox is for, and apologize it it could be understood that way.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
George Bernard Shaw, 190
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print