Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Organizing the Stamps Menu (Read 4867 times)
Jack Baty

Organizing the Stamps Menu
Jan 31st, 2013, 6:59am

I'm getting a little carried away with creating Stamps. I love them.

What would be helpful for me is the ability to better organize the Stamps menu. I'd like to change the order of the items (without using prefix tricks like "01-, 02-" etc.) Even nicer would be to collect stamps into groups which would then be rendered as nested menu items under the Stamps menu.

IP Logged
AGHorne

Re: Organizing the Stamps Menu
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2013, 5:15pm

YES!

IP Logged
Sumner Gerard

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2013, 11:09pm

Though, with nesting, don't want to break:

Code:
click menu item myStampName of menu "Stamps" of menu bar item "Stamps" of menu bar 1 

Without a Tinderbox suite in the AppleScript Dictionary this is a convenient way "in" to Tinderbox action code from the outside (can trigger a stamp with a keyboard shortcut assigned just like any other menu item and can pass selected text into the OS clipboard and directly into an attribute, for example).

Love stamps too. Can "roll your own" custom menu... and minimize agents running mysteriously in the background.

« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2013, 11:29pm by Sumner Gerard »  
  IP Logged
Anand

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2015, 7:28am

Is there a way to re-order Quickstamps under the Stamps Menu?

I've tried the obvious: Choose "Inspect Stamps...". Click-and-hold on a particular Quickstamp and tried to drag it up or down on the list. Doesn't seem to work.

An earlier post on this thread requested an ability to group Quickstamps together to form submenus under the Stamps menu. I'd be happy to just be able to re-order them up and down.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2015, 8:36am

Currently, I believe Stamps are listed in the Inspector and stamp menu in the order they were created. The list in the Stamp Inspector doesn't allow the order to be changed. The menu simply follows the order in Inspector. Tested in v6.3.2(b174).

« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2015, 8:37am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
steve harf

Cleveland, Ohio
Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2015, 9:14pm

The Stamps menu follows the order of the stamps as specified in the tbx file. For those willing to venture into the dark art of xml, you can try editing your tbx file (after making a back-up, of course) so that your stamps are in the desired order.

After opening your tbx file in a text editor (like TextWrangler) you will see a section of text in the file (around line number 700) that looks like this

Code:
<menu name="Value" kind="stamps" >
<stamp name="Stamp Name 1" >$Container = &quot;/Main/Topics/&quot;</stamp>
<stamp name="Stamp Name 2" >$Container = &quot;/Main/Meetings&quot;</stamp>
<stamp name="Stamp Name 3" >$Container = &quot;/Main/Daily&quot;</stamp>
<stamp name="Stamp Name 4" >$OutlineBackgroundColor = ;</stamp>
<stamp name="Stamp Name 5" >$OutlineBackgroundColor = #ccffff</stamp>
<stamp name="Stamp Name 6" >$OutlineBackgroundColor = #cccccc</stamp>
<stamp name="Stamp Name 7" >$OutlineBackgroundColor = #ccffcc</stamp>
<stamp name="Stamp Name 8" >$OutlineBackgroundColor = #ffcccc</stamp>
<stamp name="Stamp Name 9" >$OutlineBackgroundColor = #ffffcc</stamp>
</menu> 

Everything between the lines <menu name="Value" kind="stamps" > and </menu> are your stamps. (Your stamp names and definitions will be different from the ones detailed above.) You can re-order the lines of text that fall between these two lines. Just make sure you are getting the whole line, starting with <stamp name="Stamp Name X" > and ending with </stamp>.

Save the file with your changes and open the tbx file using TinderboxSix to see your changes to the order of the Stamps menu.

- Steve Harf
WWW steveharf   IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2015, 9:00am

Quote:
For those willing to venture into the dark art of xml, you can try editing your tbx file (after making a back-up, of course) so that your stamps are in the desired order.

Very useful, thanks! One of these "obvious once it's pointed out" tips.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2015, 9:09am

Perhaps if the Stamps Inspector used the layout seen in the Macro Inspector? I suspect some extra under the hood tweak might be needed for the main Stamp menu to sort.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2015, 10:35am

We're planning this for Tinderbox 6.4

WWW   IP Logged
steve harf

Cleveland, Ohio
Reply #9 - Nov 1st, 2015, 11:04am

Perhaps offer a way to share Stamps between tbx files? Yes we can use template files, but once I create a useful stamp in one tbx file, I want it available for other files as well.

For those so inclined, you can copy the xml line of stamp code from one tbx to another. However, this capability is now restricted to those who are fairly adventurous mucking around xml.

- Steve Harf
WWW steveharf   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print