Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Change the default explode option to 'paragraph' (Read 4170 times)
Marcelo Mirage

Brazil
Change the default explode option to 'paragraph'
Feb 3rd, 2013, 3:55pm

How often do we want to summarize a paragraph, how often do we need the whole thing?

I, personally,  need much more often to explode the whole paragraph.

One of the main reasons is in cases like: "St. Pierre", the $Name would be just "St".

OK, I could just switch to paragraph every single time, but, my question here is: do we really use more the 'first sentence' option than the 'paragraph' option? And, if not, could 'paragraph' be the default setting? Why? because it saves a lot of clicks.

This post is just to survey Tinderbox forum and get some responses. If the majority turn out to prefer 'first sentence', may it prevail.

« Last Edit: Feb 03rd, 2013, 3:56pm by Marcelo Mirage »  
Marcelo Mirage Marcelo Mirage MMUmeda misantropov@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Lucas D

Re: Change the default explode option to 'paragraph'
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2013, 5:08pm

I always use the paragraph option too, although I don't use 'Explode' enough to be bothered by the number of clicks.

I think the ideal would simply be to make such dialog windows remember last settings used --- that would indeed be rather handy.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2013, 5:56pm

I use Explode a lot, almost always on behalf of others and the only certainly is everyone's need (i.e. optimal default) is different. The Explode dialog offers options to control what goes into $Text (all, some or none) and what goes into the $Name(1 or 2 paras or all text). There's a perhaps simplistic assumption that the 'sentence' boundary is full stop. From experience it's actually more complicated that that (even if only for |! and ? terminators).

If there is a change it might be better to either offer a preference (i.e. doc-wide default) and/or have the Explode dialog remember the last used values, at least for the current session.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Marcelo Mirage

Brazil
Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2013, 12:41am

Both suggestions would solve this problem, and many others. But, I take this would require a lot more coding than simply changing the default from 'first sentence' to 'first paragraph'...

That's why I'm asking people here about their habits.

Marcelo Mirage Marcelo Mirage MMUmeda misantropov@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2013, 10:59am

Explode will be all new in Tinderbox 6.  Have ideas for Exploding more gracefully?  Now's a good time to email.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print