Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tinderbox for presentation. A few suggestions (Read 7977 times)
Marcelo Mirage

Brazil
Tinderbox for presentation. A few suggestions
Feb 3rd, 2013, 4:38pm

I would love to use Tinderbox more often for my keynote presentations. But, there are a few quirks in Map View that makes it a little more difficult to operate:

1. Jumping from keyboard to mouse back and forth, for navigation. If only the arrow keys could make through the entire navigation, that would make the operation much simpler and more dynamic.

How about:
'up arrow' = move up the hierarchy (to parent)
'down arrow' = move down the hierarchy (to children)
'right/left arrows' = highlight between siblings

I know that's the case, but only when a note in the Map View is highlighted (selected). When we go down a level inside a note, none of them are selected, and arrow keys don't work for right/left, only up/down directions (since no note is currently selected).

That's why I'd suggest that at least one note be ALWAYS selected in Map View. That way, we can have full navigation control by using only arrow keys.

Now, the problem is... I've recently learned about the workings of selection in Map View and I think I understand the reason why this isn't so simple to do: Map View is only one of many other views, and none actually take precedence, so, if a note in Outline View is selected, the note (a different note) in Map View would also be selected, and that is not possible for obvious reasons.

But could there be a workaround? How about if Tinderbox could identify which window is currently active and activate selection by any arrow key stroke to the first sibling (and, if not, leave current selection, as is actually the case)?

2. About adornments, can't we chose their outline order? I couldn't find a way to do that. Why would we need to change? Because adornments are selected in navigation, so, if you are presenting notes in sequence (again with arrow keys), then the adornments are a part of that sequence.

« Last Edit: Feb 03rd, 2013, 4:45pm by Marcelo Mirage »  
Marcelo Mirage Marcelo Mirage MMUmeda misantropov@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Tinderbox for presentation. A few suggestions
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2013, 5:47pm

Re #2, $OutlineOrder for notes and adornments is described here.  Although you cannot set $OutlineOrder directly (it is read-only) a series of Note menu choices (with keyboard shortcuts) all you to shift the actual outline order of items. This works across all major views, though adornments are of course only visible in Map view.

« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2013, 7:41pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Marcelo Mirage

Brazil
Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2013, 12:45am

@Mark: Described where?

Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2013, 2:26am

Oops - sorry, mark-up error.  The link is here and fixed in my earlier post too, for subsequent readers.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Marcelo Mirage

Brazil
Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2013, 5:49pm

Quote:
a series of Note menu choices (with keyboard shortcuts) all [sic: allow] you to shift the actual outline order of items

Where are these menu choices? Which are the keyboard shortcuts?

Paul Walters

Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2013, 6:52pm

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2013, 7:07pm

Quote:
Where are these menu choices?

In the Note menu. See the items 'Indent' through 'Send to Back'.

Quote:
Which are the keyboard shortcuts?

See the Keyboard shortcuts section of aTbRef.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2013, 12:08pm

To change the outline order of an adornment, select it in the map. Then, in the Note menu, you'll find commands to Move Note Up/Down, to bring to To Front or Send To Back.

WWW   IP Logged
Marcelo Mirage

Brazil
Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2013, 6:52pm

Quote:
To change the outline order of an adornment, select it in the map. Then, in the Note menu, you'll find commands to Move Note Up/Down, to bring to To Front or Send To Back.

That one made it!

Marcelo Mirage

Brazil
Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2013, 6:53pm

Now, what about my first suggestion? Any comments?

Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #10 - Feb 5th, 2013, 7:50pm

I've no strong views either way. I can see one edge case problem re auto-selection on map drill-down. In doing the same in Outline or Chart view, the first child by $OutlineOrder is automatically selected. Drilling down in a map the map view within the parent viewport is presented at the centre of the window. If the map selected the first child(by outline) child and scrolled to it that is - I suspect - not the user's likely idea.

Perhaps if the note whose {$Xpos,$Ypos} were closest to the parent's $MapScrollX,$MapScrollY} - or lower right quadrant from that, then a  more 'logical select might occur. Just an idea!

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print