Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tinderbox Directory or Index (Read 4718 times)
MichaelB

Tinderbox Directory or Index
Feb 12th, 2013, 2:11pm

Is there a way to create a TB document that is a master document or index to all my other TB documents?

With links? So if I keep open the master document, I can click on a link to open other documents?

thanks

Michael

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Tinderbox Directory or Index
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2013, 2:54pm

Yes and No. The 'No' is that you can't link inside a TBX so as to open both the document and a specific note. That said there are encouraging rumbles in this regard re v6 but nothing announced yet (we'll have to wait and see).

The 'Yes' is you can use the $File attribute. Drag a TBX or some other file or a folder of files onto the 'File' button in the sidebar of a note. Clicking the button opens a pop-up which allows you to tell Finder to pen the stored path. The file or folder is opened in what ever app your Mac thinks that file type should use. Be aware:
  • The paths created are fixed paths not OS aliases. Move the target item in finder and the link won't work any more.
  • Although TB offers user File-type attributes it doesn't offer any easy way to do the 'open target file bit'. Sidenote: a feature request has been discussed so File-type attributes, when displayed as key attributes have an open button akin to those shown for URL-type attributes.
  • The latter means that linking to more than one file per source TB note isn't feasible (certainly in v5.x) unless the target is a folder, though that still means you have to then choose and open a file within the folder.
For my personal TB demo bank (some 275 odd files/folders) - and which is included in Eastgate's tutorial CDs - I use a modified form of the above to get around the fixed path issue.  In short, the TBX outline follows the layout and naming of the demo bank on the OS. All folders and files of note get a note of their own. A special note holds the current OS location of the TBX in a user attribute. An agent then uses the outline structure to construct the correct current $File path for a resource note built of the root path. Thus if the demo bank folder is moved, updating just one attribute makes all the files in the demo bank still accessible. The only limitation is I avoid using spaces (no longer necessary since String.replace() in v5.7.0+) or non-ASCII characters in file/folder names.

« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2013, 2:54pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
MichaelB

Re: Tinderbox Directory or Index
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2013, 2:57pm

Thanks very much Mark.  I'll check out the tutorial file.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print