Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
style/format changes do not stick (Read 3070 times)
Willem Smelik

style/format changes do not stick
Feb 24th, 2013, 2:51pm

This question may have been raised before; if so,  I failed to find it.

I frequently encounter the problem that I want to put a word or phrase in, say, Italic, or shift-right a paragraph, that the document reverts to the default font and formatting is lost when it is saved.
Even changing the font is reverted to the default.

I have this in a project where I deleted all documents but one, no prototypes, nothing but a single note.

This is inconvenient, because I mark the note up this way for a specific purpose.

Surely I'm missing something.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: style/format changes do not stick
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2013, 6:15pm

A possible cause is if you are using an agent or rule to alter $Text, as this strips all formatting. For instance, assume that $Text is this:

This is some styled text.

If a rule sets $Text = $Text + " Hello.", the result is:

This is some styled text. Hello.

See how the styling is stripped.  If this isn't the likely cause can you please give a bit more detail about what is running in your TBX.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2013, 7:48pm

I've not seen this, or heard other reports.

Mark Anderson is right that setting $Text can reset format information.

If you have the same note open in a text window and an Explorer, then the "winning" version of the text will be whichever window is closed last. The best answer, in my opinion, is not to have the same note open in a text window and an explorer. (If you use Explorer view, don't leave spare text windows lying around. If you have lots of text windows open all the time, you probably don't need or want Explorer)

WWW   IP Logged
Willem Smelik

Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2013, 7:55pm

It is a single note without any attributes (deliberately, as I had this problem before). I can send it to you.

There are neither agents nor rules.

I do often have an explorer + text window open simultaneously, so I'll mend my ways in that regard! However, this happens also without that situation.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2013, 5:14am

If you have a single-note TBX that shows this error on demand, i.e. repeatably/reliably, then I think support would be interested to see it. As it seems the act of (re-)opening the text window triggers the effect, along with the TBX I'd send the steps someone must follow to re-create the effect.

As the effect happens at time of saving the TBX, it would probably be worth clarifying which OS you are using as I wonder if Apple versioning of files may be part of the problem. I'm on OS 10.6.8, so without versioning and likely not seeing any such effects. I stand corrected by Paul's post below. Thanks for the clarification.

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2013, 6:05am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Paul Walters

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2013, 5:47am

OT: an app needs to be written explicitly to use versioning in 10.7+, which Tinderbox 5.x- is not.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print