Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exporting with LaTeX (Read 6232 times)
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Exporting with LaTeX
Feb 25th, 2013, 2:02pm

Users of LaTex may find this article on Jack Baty's blog of interest.

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2013, 6:45am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Exporting with LaTeX
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2013, 6:44am

It occurs to me that if using LaTeX, you need to consider $Text styling.
  • Turn off $HTMLEntites to stop some characters exporting as HTML mark-up instead of characters.
  • Use HTML view's tabs to reset the mark-up for attributes like $HTMLBoldStart. For instance, you will want the bold start end to change from <b> and </b> to \textbf{ and }. You don't want ^text^ pushing HTML-styled $Text into your exported LaTeX source.

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2013, 6:45am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Ted Goranson

Virginia Beach VA
Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2013, 12:55pm

I'm not sure I get why this would be useful.

As Mark notes, $text is exported as a block.

The sorts of problems LaTeX usually addresses is typographic control within text. For instance, if you wanted to write equations.

WWW TedGoranson   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2013, 1:30pm

Indeed, not using LaTeX personally nor having worked closely with anyone who uses it, I'm hard placed to comment. However, as some TB users clearly like and use LaTeX, I thought it useful to flag this up.

I suspect Jack's article doesn't hit the stylistic mark-up issue (yet) as it looks like his tests thus far have been with un-styled $Text.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2013, 5:43pm

Several people have done quite elaborate LaTeX export. As Mark Anderson notes, you'll need to change the HTML style tags to LaTeX codes.  

This wasn't really something that I expected Tinderbox to do, but it can be done!

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2013, 10:16am

I've added a page to aTbRef, here, about some of the changes you might make to ^text^ output related attributes. Of course that's only part of the story, but deeper LaTeX knowledge it best acquired in a LaTeX-focussed forum.

The TBX used to work this out will go into my Demo Bank (a copy of which get included in Eastgate's the occasional TB Tutorial CDs and in Tinderbox Weekend discs).

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2013, 10:18am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Jack Baty

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2013, 8:42pm

I've just spotted this thread. Mark, thank you for the comprehensive list of output attributes. I had done only a few of those and your list helped.

I use LaTeX for creating fairly simple documents. It's probably overkill, but I like the results. Using Tinderbox Templates and Attributes lets me easily output the same $text using several different document types and variations without spending too much time futzing with packages and top matter. I'm also just having fun with it Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print