Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Little Outliner (Read 5173 times)
Paul Walters

Little Outliner
Mar 26th, 2013, 5:40am

Dave Winer has introduced a new product, Little Outliner, that might eventually evolve into an interesting companion to Tinderbox.  For now, only a single outline is possible, it is stored locally and accessed in a browser.  Small Picture says features will eventually evolve into support for "networks of outlines" and collaboration.  Today, Little Outliner imports OPML, and displays it in the browser, from where it can be copied and saved to a new OPML file.  Small stuff, but worth watching as the service evolves.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Little Outliner
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2013, 6:28am

Interesting.  It is seemingly using HTML5 local storage to store the outline.

Congruent with original OPML specification, 'notes' only have a title (TB $Name) and no $Text equivalent. IIRC, it was OmniGroup's OmniOutliner that popularised the '_note' OPML attribute that  some OML-handling apps will accept as a container for note $Text. That said the app's document hints at other item attributes, though I don't think the author (and OPML inventor - I believe) has an interest in a richer Outline structure such as the likes of TB support.

I found one shortcut Cmd+\ conflicted on my Mac - in my safari that opens the 1Password plug-in.

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2013, 6:28am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Sumner Gerard

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2013, 1:34pm

Looks nice and simple. A stated aim is to be platform independent, but am guessing Mobile Safari (iPad) currently doesn't have enough HTML5 support to handle it??

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2013, 3:06pm

Seems to work (testing the very basics) on my iPad2 (iOS 6.1.3). iOS certainly has less space devoted to local storage than a desktop browser but I doubt - for light use - that it would be a factor. It's harder to use via a touch interface but does seem to work (likely on a 'droid too) and in the discussion forum Dave W says they're working on improving tablet support. I suspect right now the app is under constant change as people start to try it.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2013, 6:52am

Round tripping to/from TB seems to work. As yet, LittleOutliner isn't fully supporting note/item data other than $Name and $Created data, but I'm sure that will change.

If importing, note that you get a silent fail. You'll have to figure out the error. For instance I used an old OPML file that omitted the </opml> closing tag.  The file passed (!) the OPML validator tool but failed for LO import, until I added the missing tag.

« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2013, 6:53am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Paul Walters

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2013, 5:32am

Winer has extended the product offering mentioned above to include Fargo, which supports multiple files and saves the .opml outlines to Dropbox (useful for working on a smart device) and a few other features.

If you have notifications turned on and Dropbox included in the Notification Center, it will natter you about the file update every time you press enter on a new or changed line of text.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print