Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
nvALT sync via Simplenote: a bug in TB (Read 6060 times)
Desalegn

Norway
nvALT sync via Simplenote: a bug in TB
May 01st, 2013, 8:35pm

When I am synchronizing my notes created in nvAlt to Tinderbox via Simplenote; I get two issues related with characters:

1. the character "/" gets two additional "\" in front of it.
2. Hard returns get \n

Here is an example:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before syncing
Distributed morphology (DM) has its own way of thinking

- Syntactic word-formation: all computation of non-atomic elements is per-formed by thesyntax.

/Site/OmniFocus_%26_DEVONthink.html
and

After syncing
Distributed Morphology\\n\\n# Distributed morphology (DM) has its own way of thinking\\n\\n- Syntactic word-formation: all computation of non-atomic elements is per-formed by thesyntax. \\n- Separa...

\\/Site\\/OmniFocus_&_DEVONthink.html\nand

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brett, the developer of nvAlT, indicated that Tinderbox is the culprit for the problem. Can you guys fix this bug please. it is so annoying. I can unable to try tinderbox because of this bug.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: nvALT sync via Simplenote: a bug in TB
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2013, 3:28am

You need to report this to tech support. This is a user-to-user forum; we users can't alter the app and as such the forum isn't formal vendor support.

Meanwhile, the suggestion of a TB/SN synch bug doesn't ring true with my experience of it so I tried out your experiment. I added your specimen note - the 'before' example - to the Simplenote web app via copy/paste from your post above. The result in Simplenote is shown here:

I then synched and here is the result seen in Tinderbox v5.12.1:

As I started with Simplenote (I don't have nvAlt), the test above would imply the extra characters are being generated on export from nvAlt to simple note, rather than from Simplenote to Tinderbox. At least, the above test shows that there isn't a general bug in Tinderbox/Simplenote synching as you imagined. The issue will be more subtle and may need changes to either or both apps - if the vendors are willing.

Whatever, you definitely need to follow up with tech support. Please note that most of Eastgate are currently at the WebSci13 Conference in Paris through to 6 May, so turnaround on support mail may be slightly less snappy than usual.

In my moderator's 'hat', I'll also move this to a more pertinent sub-forum, as this one is for more general discussion of Tinderbox use overall. No censure is implied by this move - it's just to aid easier use of the forums for users in general.

« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2013, 9:40am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Desalegn

Norway
Reply #2 - May 15th, 2013, 6:38pm

Thank you for the reply and moving the question to its right place.

I  informed both developers (Mark and Brett) a few months ago. According to Mark, the first problem is from Tinderbox while the second is from nvALT. I know Mark has contacted  Brett.  

Both of the apps are great by their own right. It would have been even greater if they can talk to each other. I hope they will fix it.

« Last Edit: May 15th, 2013, 6:43pm by Desalegn »  
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - May 16th, 2013, 9:54am

I think this will be addressed in upcoming releases.

WWW   IP Logged
Desalegn

Norway
Reply #4 - May 16th, 2013, 10:12am

thank you so much. That will make my life better.

IP Logged
Desalegn

Norway
Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2014, 6:53am

This bug is still haunting my soul. isn't there any progress?

I had reported  for both of the developers with no progress so far: here is the discussion with Brett: https://github.com/ttscoff/nv/issues/169

« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2014, 7:03am by Desalegn »  
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2014, 12:01pm

Stay tuned for Tinderbox Six!  

http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox/TinderboxSix.html

WWW   IP Logged
Desalegn

Norway
Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2014, 12:33pm

"make it easier for Tinderbox to cooperate with other programs", wowowowo...exciting!
(its isolated environment was the biggest frustration I have on TB)

thanks Mark

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print