Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The moment before Tinderbox (Read 4466 times)
mike wrenn

The moment before Tinderbox
May 29th, 2013, 10:02pm

A snapshot right before I open Tinderbox.

Many projects come predefined. "This is an Illustrator design." or "One page summary on 'the topic'." But in this case, we are developing a simple 3D FPS style walkthrough of a room based on a fantasy story world (anybody familiar with Unity?). A world with no established design theme. Complications will follow. But here is a snapshot, right before I open Tinderbox:

Twitter: @Auxhiler
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: The moment before Tinderbox
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2013, 10:25am

Perfect!

And what happened then?

WWW   IP Logged
mike wrenn

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2013, 8:19pm

Thanks for asking!

It's really hard to move graphite around once it lands on the paper. With this foundation, we fire up Tinderbox with a mind to move everything off the paper as fast as possible. We end up with:

But we like our multiple windows with map views. So we mix some free thinking in as we push notes around, and within the next 30 minutes or so, we get:

Research materials can start flowing into some notes already. Plenty of places to comment about Frank Frazzeta, architecture and religious influence on design.

Most important for me, and why I like using Tinderbox in my visual design process, I have "Is" and "Is Not" in the same window. This simple demo is about a room decorated with shields. The barbarian of Cimmeria will need weapons and armor in battle. But when he returns to his armory, what does he want to see? As he exits, a peaceful view of a large tree engraved in stone, or a tapestry of a bacchanal might sooth the mind. "Is Not" becomes a mission critical part of the design and thought process again.

IP Logged
mike wrenn

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2013, 4:37am

The 3D designer is getting edgy, wondering about textures and color schemes. We already have a few screen shots of sample shields. He needs to slow down, grab a coffee or something.

But color and mood go together. And some color samples might give the designer something to think about while we work out the story surrounding this room. Something to talk about. We can always change it later. And we can see the colors while we take notes and write materials.

I'm partial to Tinderbox's "coffee/chocolate". Very easy on the eyes, I think me and my monitor could stare at each other all day. But this room we have to make requires lighting and coloring. The 3D designer needs to know the kinds of colors and source material to use. This is a chance to get into the mood of the project. Even though it's supposed to be just a simple demo.

If you squint a little, you might be able to guess the reference photo I snagged from the all seeing eye. Sorry, no prizes, but guesses are welcome.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print